On the Way Down This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

A long, paved road with fields on either sidestretched so far I could not see the end. In the sky, I saw white cloudswith rays bursting from them. It was so cold I had chills. The field wasfull of tall grass, and the road looked new. In the field was an oldfarmhouse with a swing swaying back and forth on the front porch. Afigure moved toward me as if floating. Her hair, curly and red, blewlike a banner in the cold wind. As she came closer, her arms barelymoved; she appeared tired and weak. In her long dress she seemed anangel. Her feet were strapped in her favorite sandals, which perfectlymatched the dress hanging loosely on her slight frame. Her face wasround and covered with freckles. Pale and green, her eyes were blank, asthough she wasn't there, but the sad look I remembered had disappeared.Her hands were soft, no longer swollen from pain. Her fingers were asnice as the last time I saw them, her nails perfect. She stepped up tome, smiled and reached out. Then she turned and walked away. I knew thatwould be the last time I would see her. She turned to me and said,