Karate King | Teen Ink

Karate King

December 16, 2015
By KingBlaarg BRONZE, Wentzville, Michigan
KingBlaarg BRONZE, Wentzville, Michigan
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Ech

Chapter 1: The Whole Thing

The lights in the arena were bright. A boy with curly hair by the name of Nick stepped in to a roaring crowd and an anxious knot in his chest. He didn’t know what to expect--the thought of achieving the black belt filled him with fear, anticipation, nervousness, but most of all, determination. Nick stepped up onto the large orange mat, stretching and taking deep breaths to calm down. If he failed here, he would have to start all the way from a brown belt again, about two years’ worth of training and sparring. He couldn’t fail now, not after the journey he started way back when he was just a toddler. As he was giving himself confidence, it quickly left him once the opposing fighter stepped out into sight.
The black belted man, known as a Warrior, was massive to say the least; he was large in the stomach, almost as if he had a beer belly, but was finely toned and buff in his arms and legs. He has short, spiky black hair with a thick, short, rigid beard jutting out at his chin. His attire consisted of the normal white over shirt and pants, but with a few extra accessories to show he’s a Warrior. On his belt was a fierce dragon buckle with flame designs around the front of the cloth, presenting his Warrior status, and on his left shoulder was a thick shoulder pad that could sustain any blow. The crowd went insane at the sight of the man.
Nick was intimidated, shaking in his place. He didn’t know how he would ever beat this guy--he was a whole foot taller than the boy, and at least two or three times as heavy. Harder yet, the kid’s failure would be seen by thousands, giving him an immense embarrassment and anxiousness. At last, the dojo’s sensei walked up began to speak.
“Welcome, everyone! Today is a very special day, is it not?” he said with excitement. The crowd stared at Nick and began to chant, “Get the belt! Get the belt!”
“Yes, yes, the young challenger Nick Lane will be up against my star pupil, Orin. Black belts are a symbol of courage, strength, wisdom, skill, and most importantly, passion. Nick here has been a great student for years! I believe he has quite the chance to achieve the belt this year. Here’s how it works: the spar has three rounds total, or less if someone is knocked out. All rules apply as they have before as well. Meaning no calf and tendon shots, no kicks or punches to the eyes or nose, and NO groin shots. Understand?” the Sensei looks at both men right in the eyes. They both shook their heads.
“Good. Now, without further ado, let the match… BEGIN!” The Sensei left the ring. Nick and Orin bowed to each other, Orin’s being much more confident than Nick’s. They squared up and began the fight. As Orin went in for the first strike, Nick blanked and fell unconscious. As he began to wake, he just heard one terrible phrase that should have never been said:
“Nick, get up! It’s time for school!”


The author's comments:

It was a dream I had once.