Point and Click | Teen Ink

Point and Click MAG

Point and click, point and click. This is the hourafter I finish my homework. As I write that last Chemistry answer, my mindwanders to what awaits me in the world of the Web. Soon I will be talking tofriends through instant messages, reading new mail in my inbox and checking outteen sites for the fall fashions. Many teens spend hours online. It's not anobsession, just a fun new way of communication and exploration.

As I pointand click away, I feel like a detective. If I have a question on relationships orother issues, I look to the millions of teens on the Web for advice. Many sitesoffer articles written by teens, and browsing message boards is also very helpfulwhen looking for advice. For schoolwork, the online encyclopedias never cease toprovide just the information I am looking for.

Another important part ofmy life online is communication. Although email and instant messages will neverreplace traditional mail and the telephone, I do rely heavily on the Web forinstant communication. I love that I can go online and talk to my friend inIreland just as I can talk to my friends the next town over. An email to mygrandmother tells her how much I care in a matter of seconds, and private chatrooms even provide a great forum for late-night study groups. Communication is anessential part of everybody's life, and the Web is a tool to make communicationeasier.

With a click of my mouse, the answers to my questions are justseconds away. The Web helps me find awesome summer job information, the hottestnew movie and even the most popular places to hang out in my area. Who would everhave thought that nothing less than the world would be at our fingertips? Theservices the Internet provides are endless. It can accommodate the needs of astudent in Alaska and those of a businessman in Japan. I love the Internet, and Iguess I am just a girl in a point and click world.