Fenway | Teen Ink

Fenway MAG

By Anonymous

   Opening your hotel window and getting a whiff of Boston'shistoric past, knowing that the Boston Red Sox will take the field at Fenway Parklater that afternoon, is one of the greatest feelings.

Strolling throughthe city that afternoon, staring at the skyscrapers, all I could think about waswalking into one of baseball's most sacred cathedrals. As I stopped to getsomething to eat at a deli, a stranger crept up behind me and asked if I knew whowas the starting pitcher for that night's game. Not being from Boston, I couldn'tanswer, but a man with a deep Eastern accent replied, "Fassero." Ihurried to the subway station to get to the ballpark. Listening to the fans onthe subway preparing for the game with a few chants and the kids being pushed bytheir fathers to make early batting practice gave me a sense of how seriouslyprofessional baseball is taken on the East Coast.

Above ground again, Iturned a corner and saw the glare of the stadium lights and heard the chatter ofthe crowd. Anticipating the sweet smell of the grass and dirt, the crack of thebat, and getting comfortable in one of those hard seats to watch an exciting gamesent chills through my body.

The excitement grew with every step. Nearingthe stadium, I could hear the scalpers pleading for someone to purchase theirtickets. People didn't care much about the price as long as they had a chance towatch from inside one of baseball's most historic stadiums. Looking at themerchandise and listening to sports radio discuss the most intimate details oftheir team, I realized again that baseball is much bigger on the East Coast thananywhere else.

"'Yankees Suck!' bumper stickers, just fivedollars," a vendor called. "Red Sox apparel, $20." I decided toskip the vendors and just get inside the ballpark.

As I walked in, I couldfeel the greatness that echoed through the walls and the field of the legends whohave played there: Ted Williams, Babe Ruth and the current superstar, NomarGarciaparra. Just being inside the stadium and the smell of the field gives you afeel for all the great legends who have left their mark on one of baseball'slandmark stadiums.

Just before the game started, we walked down to thefield and I met one of the coaches who had coached my dad back when he played forthe New York Yankees. Then we walked to our seats as the Red Sox took the field;the crowd erupted for their home team. As the game went on, I could feel theintensity of the fans and how badly they wanted their team to win, as they yelledat the players to motivate them even more.

Listening to my dad recallmemories of this stadium made me wonder how thrilling it would be to play infront of a crowd of at least 30,000. Just knowing that everyone in the stands hastheir eye on you as you deliver that ball to home plate has to be exhilarating.

As we left the stadium and headed to the hotel, I knew this was a night Iwould remember. Just to experience the feel of an East Coast baseball game wasvery special to me, and I hope to experience it again. Maybe, from the pitcher'smound.