My Eighteenth Birthday | Teen Ink

My Eighteenth Birthday MAG

By Anonymous

   I peered into the clear blue sky and thought ofnothing in particular. The smell of morning grass was a sweet perfume. I waslying on my back under the shade of a glorious, ancient oak that seemed to testthe fate of time. It was a lazy day of no importance, but it seemed like my lifewas beginning to take shape that very day. It was the moment when innocence andignorance were exchanged for maturity and wisdom. With every breath I took, Ipulled in the fresh air of understanding of life. Lost were the days of childhoodbliss; now would come the days of adult worries and responsibilities. That day,my 18th birthday, I entered into the realm of adulthood.

I couldn't bearto think about the future. I couldn't look past that day, though the realizationhad sunk in and there was no turning back. I was leaving. I was leavingeverything I knew and loved. And the most devastating realization of all was thatI would leave my love. He who sat next to me, holding my hand with suchtenderness that it was hard to let go. His beautiful hazel eyes searched mine,and he seemed to put his confusion aside and hold on tighter. Our love hadstarted with a simple glance and lasted throughout the turmoil of high school,and of life itself.

"What's bothering you?" he asked. I thoughtabout how I should respond. I wondered if I should spoil the day with the sadnews.

"It's almost time," I softly replied.

"Timefor what? Is it time for us to go?" But after looking into my sad eyes, hebegan to understand which time was almost up.

"No, but it's almosttime for me to go."

This was too much harsh reality for both of us.After a long pause he simply said, "I will always loveyou."

Tears drenched my face, but I knew what needed to be done. Irose from my comfortable spot, grabbed his hand and said, "That time hasn'tcome yet." I wiped the tears from my eyes and gave him a hug that could havelasted forever. We left not knowing what was going to happen to us, but we leftknowing that our love for each other is eternal.