I Remember | Teen Ink

I Remember MAG

By Anonymous

   I remember how mymother told me, I remember the words she used. I remember the tears dropping likerain, and I remember that aching pain. I remember the day I was told of Tyler'sdeath, the day he accidentally took his own life.

I was in my roomdoing homework and decided I needed a snack. I went to the kitchen and found mymother in tears. She told me Tyler was gone, and I had no clue how to respond.What do you say to your brother when his friend dies? What can you tell him tomake him stop crying?

I recall wanting to be alone in my room, where I wassafe. There, I didn't have to see the pain in everyone's eyes. I wanted to hide.My brother lost a friend for a lifetime, and for a week, I lost mybrother.

My brother wasn't the same. I didn't know how to talk to him.He was reserved, like a part of him left with Tyler. The whole school was likethat - everyone was quiet, refusing to speak. We all felt horrible for the kidsin Tyler's class, and more so for his family.

Tyler left behind aloving mother, a caring dad, and a beautiful sister. I grieved for them the most.They had no idea Tyler would be gone in a flash. It wasn't his fault, I toldmyself over and over, trying to blame someone for his death. But no one was toblame. Tyler died of a gunshot wound to the head. He was hunting by himself andhad just shot a bird. He was on his way to retrieve it when he slipped and fell,causing the butt of the gun to hit the ground and fire. Tyler didn't have thesafety on, and in a moment he was dead.

Please, to all you hunters outthere, be safe and careful. Accidents happen all too often and take lives. I onlyhope you read this and realize that safety counts. Tyler, I miss you.