My Destiny | Teen Ink

My Destiny MAG

By Anonymous

   From the day it came intothe house, it mesmerized me. Nothing could pull me away. It seemed to call me toit, sucking me in like a giant vacuum. It was a computer, and whether I played agame or did schoolwork, I loved sitting in front of it. I guess it could evenhave been considered an addiction. I was in ecstasy every time I sat down infront of the screen. Any free time I had I pumped into the computer. My momfinally limited me to an hour a day, unless I needed to do homework.

Overthe years I succeeded in limiting myself to one hour a day on the computer. I nolonger had the urge to be on it every time I walked by. Despite having onecomputer, however, I still wanted another for my room. My parents thought aboutit but decided it was too expensive and didn't think I really needed one. But,after four long years of begging and pleading, they finally gave in. It wasnowhere near the near top of the line, but I was extremely happy just thesame.

One day, as I sat down and turned it on, I heard a faint voice in myhead that changed my life: Become a computer programmer, it said over and over,louder and louder. I pondered this idea, then decided to try an experiment. I satdown with my calculator in one hand and my calculator manual in the other andattempted to write a simple program. I succeeded in creating a basic program thatfound the area of a circle if given the radius. After reading the calculatormanual a few more times and spending hours learning the programming code, I couldmake my calculator do almost anything I wanted. Then, I attempted to write aprogram using a powerful language called Visual Basic. I succeeded at this, too.At that point I realized I had the gift to program computers. I made my decision- I will become a computer programmer!