Costume Hunting | Teen Ink

Costume Hunting MAG

By Anonymous

   All my life I have somehow been involved in performance. Whether singing, dancing,acting or entertaining others with my wits, I've gotten up and done it. My momhas always been there to support my presence on the stage. Even more so, she hasactively helped me behind the scenes with hair, makeup and especially costumes.Believe me when I say that together my mother and I have spent a lot of timesearching for the perfect flapper dress, or an exquisite skirt.

The firstplace we always check for outfits is her closet from her teenage years.Surprisingly, we often have much success there. Even when we don't have luck, Icherish the time I spend with her on our quest.

As my mother flipsthrough her clothes, she shares stories about each piece. She tells me tales ofher first crush, the spontaneous nights out with her friends, my grandfather, whoI never met, and countless others. Her memories flood back as her hands embracethe garments she once wore. Before either of us realizes it, our mission to finda costume becomes a bonding experience. It may last only a short time, but itmakes up for the normal "I'm a teenager and I hate my mom" part ofadolescent life.

To me, my mom is too great a person to waste thoughts ofhate on, even if it is considered normal at my age. I believe that even15-year-olds should make an effort to have a close relationship with theirmothers. Not only do you learn to understand each other better, but as a person,you get more out of life because of what you learn listening to your mom and hertales of journeying through life.

As I continue my life, and hopefully mycareer in performing, my mother will still help me with my preparation, becauseno matter how old I get, costume hunting with my mother will always be awonderful key into her past, and a door into mine.