Wannabe | Teen Ink

Wannabe

Wannabe: (N) A person who associates with the popular class in search of becoming like them.

Wannabe? Me a Wannabe? You’ve got it all wrong. My clothes? You think my clothes make me a wannabe? I get most of my shirts from Hot Topic. I get my jeans from the used clothes store by Taco Bell. I’m too lazy to straighten, or even comb my hair most days. I don’t wear makeup. I don’t wear fancy shoes. You call that a Wannabe?

My personality makes me a Wannabe? You call self-conscious and shy the personality of a Wannabe? Sure, I act confident and perky at times, but that’s my defense mechanism. It’s my way of hiding my feelings from the hurtful world. True, I want, more than anything, to rip off that mask, but popular crowd is no place to do that.

What’s so cool about the popular crowd, anyway? It’s just a huge group of nothingness. Empty compliments and unfeeling giggles. Completely hollow people. Like a pumpkin. All the mushy stuff is scraped from them and thrown away. Sure, they look good, but on the inside? Nothing.

My friends are nothing but the mushy stuff. Most people hate the inside of pumpkins, but I’ll have you know, they are the main component in pumpkin pie, and what’s not to love about pumpkin pie?!

So sure, call me a Wannabe if you want, go ahead. It’s not true. I’m no Wannabe because I don’t associate with the popular class, nor do I have any intention of becoming one of them. I am not a Wannabe, but I’m a Want-to-be.

Want-to-be: (N) A person who simply wants to belong.

I want to take that mask off, and buy clothes wherever I want, and not force myself to laugh, and not pretend to be happy. I want to be happy; and to do that, I need to belong, be accepted. I would not describe the popular crowd as accepting.

Being labeled as a Wannabe sucks. Being labeled as popular is worse. Being labeled as a Want-to-be…I could live with that…

dandy said...
Very nice!!!!! I totally know what you mean! Good stuff!

sam dolphin said...
I always knew there was great writing talent in Monticello.

Well done writer !

Sam said...
Awesome. Keep up the good work. I would love to see more from your pen.

ZeldaRogers said...
on Feb. 13 2009 at 2:21 am
I totally get where this person's coming from...and it's well written too!

on Feb. 13 2009 at 1:26 am
WOW!!! This is a great piece! I love it. It keeps me interested and wanting to read more. Keep up the great work. I "want-to-be" your #1 fan!