The Ultimate High | Teen Ink

The Ultimate High MAG

I have found that one needs a passion to survive. That passion can be a sport, aperson, even a place. For me, it is acting. Acting is my escape, what I live for,and the only thing that makes me feel whole. I love the theater at my school, andthe people who are involved with it.

The theater has given me more than Iever thought possible. In eighth grade, I had my first kiss on stage, and wasprivy to a world of new ideas and perspectives on the way theater is run. Thenext year, I was given a bigger part, and learned more about life than everbefore. This year, I signed up the first week of school to audition for "TheCrucible." We had to perform a two-minute monologue for the first round ofauditions. More and more people signed up for auditions, and I became doubtful Iwould ever get called back. By the day of my audition, about 70 people had signedup.

I stepped onto the stage to perform my monologue for the director. Iacted confident and cheerful, even though my insides were writhing. Still, I aman actress. I began my monologue, projecting my voice to the best of my ability.I started thinking, Hey, this isn't that bad. It is actually kind of fun. All ofa sudden I heard a giggle from the audience. Then a laugh. By the time mymonologue was over, the director was hysterical. He couldn't even say thank youwithout cracking up again. I smiled warmly as I left the stage, thinking, Not badat all.

The first thing I did Monday morning was check to see if I got acallback. I practically broke my neck running from the car to the theater in myinsanely high-heeled shoes. When I finally reached the theater, unharmed, I wentto the call board.

No, no, no, where is my name? Ahh! There it is! I got acallback! I was excited, to say the least. I checked the other names and foundthat an exceptionally talented group of people had been called back. Many of themhad starred in previous plays. I knew I would have to do extremely well to beconsidered for a role.

I was scheduled for the second day of callbacks. Iwent to the first to observe and take notes on what people were doing. For thecallback we had to do what's called a cold reading: act out scenes without havingpreviously read them. For mine, I was the lead woman in love with a farmer, whowas played by my friend's brother. I went up on stage with confidence, but when Ileft I thought I could have done better.

Later, I was asked to readagain with a senior named Sean. Sean is, without a doubt, one of the best actorsto ever come through my high school. I couldn't help thinking, Wait, they want meto read with Sean? The Sean who has starred in every play he has ever auditionedfor? The Sean who is a legend here? That Sean?

I felt so intimidated as Isat in my seat, waiting to be called. Sean sat there like it was no big deal. Hereally looked like the handsome, carefree star everyone adored. I was just anunderclassman, and had absolutely no idea how I was going to go up there. When wewere called, I could feel the intense power he projected. It was acting like Ihad never experienced. All at once I was confident. I felt powerful, and I wantedto match his intensity. At one point he pulled me to him and looked deeply at me.After that he was not the talented senior and I the giddy underdog; we became theparts, we lived them. I could feel his hot breath on my cheek and his stronghands engulfing my arms. At that moment we had a connection unlike any I had everfelt. It was the ultimate high.

I became one of 20 people cast in"The Crucible." I am so thankful for that opportunity, and think thatif I have other auditions as good as that one, I may be cast in more plays. Ican't help but think of the future and where my love for acting will take me. Fornow, I am just a kid with a dream who hopes to someday make that dream a reality.Perhaps someday is not that far away. Hello, Hollywood!