A Family in Prison This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I was five when I watched my dad get led out of a courtroom in handcuffs and shackles. There were so many people moving around, I wasn’t sure what was really happening. One thing I did see very clearly and will never forget was the tear rolling down his cheek. That was the first time I had ever seen him cry. Almost 11 years have passed and I still remember that day perfectly. That was the last time I saw my dad outside prison.

Being young, only in kindergarten, I was frightened by this terrifying place. Surrounded by barbed wire and razor fences, I thought it was a horror house. That first visit was just the first of many times I’d go through the process of being frisked and walking through metal detectors.

That first time my family and I stepped into a large room filled with dozens of men wearing blue uniforms, I wondered if the other inmates’ loved ones felt the way we did. The convicts looked almost like clones – until I saw my dad. He looked much thinner and really frail. My mom started crying, and he came over and hugged her.

It felt so surreal, like I was dreaming. Now I can hardly remember my dad without his uniform. Some mornings I wake up and, for a split second, forget he’s not home anymore. Then it hurts even worse when I remember where he is and that my mom and I will never have him back.

It hurts to think of all the special memories my dad didn’t share with us. All the birthday parties and family vacations he missed. It’s one of the worst feelings in the world for a girl to know that her father won’t be there to walk her down the aisle.

While my sisters, mom, and I are out living life, Dad is in that horrific place every minute of his life, only getting to see his family one day a week. My mother and I feel so much pain not having him with us, but I can’t begin to imagine his pain and suffering every day in there.

We continue to hope for a miracle. My dad will be eligible for parole in 2023. We continue to pray that an innocent man will be freed from his life sentence for a murder he did not commit.

Azrael said...
it took u so much bravery for you to write this and im giving you my blessings that a miracle will happen and your dad will be set free

kitkat95 said...
Dec. 18, 2010 at 11:18 am:
you are so amazing for writing this and i give you all the hope i have in my heart good luck and keep praying

SkyDeerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 18, 2010 at 8:45 am:
Very sorry this had to happen to you. The writing is so descriptive it is a very good article.

SkyDeerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 18, 2010 at 8:55 am :
and I'm praying.

DaddiesDoodleThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 18, 2010 at 10:07 am :

Yes I'll join your prayers! ;) I really enjoyed reading your touching story!

AlexAldridge replied...
Dec. 18, 2010 at 7:15 pm :
I'm praying too. 

oogensagen said...
Dec. 18, 2010 at 7:57 am:
Wow! You are amazing what power your piece shows. My heart goes to you.

1234567890 said...
Nov. 29, 2010 at 7:45 am:

THIS IS SUCH A TOUCHING STORY THANK YOU FOR MAKING MY DAY!!=]

I HOPE TO HERE MORE

nessie14 said...
what you wrote was beautiful and i can understand what you are going through my dad has a chance for parole in 2017. so wish him good luck and good luck to you and your dad...if you ever want to talk just write me back.

Brook_little_obbsessive replied...
Nov. 4, 2010 at 8:12 pm :
Thats really really insulting to whoever wrote this piece, 'Luvtaylor16'

luvtaylor16 replied...
Nov. 5, 2010 at 12:16 pm :

y?

pyropoet said...

I can only imagine what you're going through right now.... my dad was almost hauled off to prison for domestic violence a few years ago. Though I don't know you, I'll be praying that your dad gets released and is seen as innocent to the judge and jury come time for his parole hearing. No one should have to go through life without a father figure. 

This was a very good piece, by the way. I actually have two pieces of nonfiction on here as well. I hope you check them out when you ar... (more »)

The Situation said...
This was a really good piece of writing that's better then anything I've ever put down or will ever write on a piece of paper. I wouldn't know what that feels like because that's never happened to me or my family. Keep up the writing because you're an awesome writer.

Challenger101 said...
Whoa, my gosh. I loved that piece its my favorite! :) but wow, i wasnt expecting that last pharagraph. That makes me want to cry... Please keep writing i was shocked and surprised with this story and i really really enjoyed it. God bless you. Peace. Hope everything works out. Thank you. Amen.

mikey123 said...
wow you are an amazing writer i loved the way you were able to describe what happened and how you are feeling in that little. keep writing you will get very fun one day. i hope your dad gets out of patrol soon

writergirl13 said...

I can't imagine what this is like for you. Stay strong and loose faith. I hope your father will get out on parole as soon as possible. Your writing was splendid and I was really able to tell how significant this was in your life and how much this is hurting you. Best of luck.

Keyshawn The Egg said...
I hope your dad does get out on parole 2023. I can't imagine the pain you and your family are feeling. I'm very sorry for you.

Curly_Sue said...
i wish you luck in for future and peace for now.

live laugh love said...
i really like the description that you did in your peice on the men and how they all looked like clones.i was intrested in this peice within the fisrt two sentences of it.its nice to know that you have faith it waas there all the way through your writing.

MR HAPPY said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 11:10 am:
 i am sorry that u never really get to spend time with our dad because of something he didnt do and i bet it is tuff wacking up and knowing that your not with your dad. for him to say good morning every day. for him not being able to see you every morning. when you want to hug him u cant except you cant cause he is not in the room right next to you. i am really really really sorry.