Harmonic Joy | Teen Ink

Harmonic Joy

By Emily Davis BRONZE, Rockwall, Texas
Emily Davis BRONZE, Rockwall, Texas

Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life; as said by the classical composer Ludwig van Beethoven. The world we live in today thrives with its soul on music and harmony. Without music, there is no meaning of feeling and without feeling; there is no need for music. Music is rendering constantly in America; all day, every day, and determines the character of the person listening. For some people, though, music digs much deeper into the mind and spirit.

People who play musical instruments and thoroughly enjoy producing the sounds have the unique advantage of operating on a higher level in the mind than people who just listen to the music. When someone, such as this, tickles the string with a bow or presents a fanfare on a trumpet, a whole new realm of nature is born. Within the notes, a story forms, climaxes, and resolves into nothingness again. Playing an instrument has the ability to uplift the soul from depression. The person producing the music creates a bubble that blocks the mind from outside life like a dream of looking out over the world in a cloud. The people do not have the ability to fully enjoy holding the clouds, but can be satisfied by simply looking up into the abyss that possesses exquisite stories. An audience listening to a symphony can enjoy the musical sounds and appeal to them as best as they can, but they do not have the ability to be immersed in the presence of the ongoing drama taking place in the mind of the person playing the instrument. The more the performer plays from the heart, the more the inner soul is presented to the listener. The mixture of playing in tune and in time and in balance creates the outline for the musicality just as the seams of a shirt set up the space provided for the artist's vision of the outcome.

Music is heart and music is soul. When music is presented, both the performer and the listener are shown a vast and different world that can be explored by opening a door to the imagination. The performer creates the bridge from reality into the musical fantasy and extends the fantasia as long as is desired while the listener is going along for the dream-like roulade. Music can never be destroyed, but, rather, hangs in the balance of earth forever and encompasses the very allusion of life. Ludwig van Beethoven was wise in summing up the meaning of music in a simple phrase: the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life.

lyssa28 BRONZE said...
on Apr. 29 2011 at 7:32 pm
lyssa28 BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
this is beautiful. and it means alot to me. i play viollin and cello