Music is Life | Teen Ink

Music is Life

January 27, 2009
By Eden Nguyen BRONZE, San Diego, California
Eden Nguyen BRONZE, San Diego, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The last thing I heard, the last thing I saw, the way he cared' When the incident happened all I could think of were the flashbacks of all the good times we spent together, especially the song he would sing to me every time, every night before I went to sleep ' reminded me of him. He was the one who really cared about me, the one who would always be there for me. He was my inspiration to love music. Music was his life, now it's ours' Michael N. (R.I.P June 19, 1970 ' May 5, 2005)

The day he had passed away. May 5th. I was at the young age of 12. I lived in a neighborhood full of gang violence, loud noise and many fights. On that day, my mom had asked me to take out the trash. I had just walked outside when I heard loud yelling, foul language noises down the street. I turned around and saw him. He smiled. Just when I had turned back around a dark big shadow rammed me into the ground. All I could hear at that moment was the sound of gun shots. I laid there on the ground waiting until the sound was clear. When I stood up, tears ran down my face. He lay there with blood rushing out from his chest. I looked at his face and his eyes were closed. I closed my eyes. All I could feel was a waterfall of tears running down my cheeks. It was as if I was feeling his pain. On that day, at that moment all I could do was think of him. Music would play in my head: a song that echoed my feelings. He's the reason why music means everything to me.

It's kinda hard with you not around,
knowing you in heaven smiling down.
Watching us while we pray for you.
Everyday we pray for you,
'till the day we meet again.
In my heart is were I keep you my friend.
Memories give me strength I need,
strength I need to believe.


Music has been my addiction my whole life. My uncle got me interested in different types of music, because every type of music expresses different types of feelings. Every time I came to him for advice he would be busy in the studio. I'd stand there with my eyes closed listening to his songs, and pictures would run through my head like someone inside of me was giving me the advice instead. Music is my life. Music is everywhere I go: the footsteps I take, the sounds of the wind blowing in the air. It's like someone is singing to me. Music can change people's thoughts to make them do the right thing. It's like sweeping up the trash on the sidewalk. If you listen to music it can also help you. It's like the tough feelings you can't solve become able to solve themselves. Music is peace, love, and happiness.

Music is written on different topics from peace to gang violence. When artist musicians write music, they want to change people's lives by telling their own true stories through words and songs. When a song is written, it's written with powerful emotional words, because the words come straight from their hearts.

Music can do something to you; change what you think or how you live. Amazingly, the incident with my uncle made me more confident and stronger today. Music is everything to me; it changed my life and how I live. Listen to music, and maybe it can do the same for you.





Lyrics: 'I'll Be Missing You' by Puff Daddy

The author's comments:
It was difficult to format the text in the box above to be identical to that in my essay. For example, I have part of my essay in italics. Please let me know if I should mail a copy, or if I can e-mail it as an attachment if it is selected for publication.