Stranger but not a Stranger | Teen Ink

Stranger but not a Stranger

We see strangers everyday and everywhere: on the way or even at school. However, I’ve realized some strangers you get to know by seeing them at a certain time regularly. I’ve seen this stranger everyday afterschool at my friend’s apartment. Before I give details about this stranger, I better tell you that I’m not his stalker.

This man I used to see everyday afterschool -- 4:30 p.m. - dresses up like a model and is very fashionable. He wears black clothes: black leather jacket, black pants, but a white T-shirt. The clothes are the right size for him. I like his accessories. He has these sparkling jewelries all over his body: rings, bracelets, and a necklace. He has many rings on his hands, but I don’t think he is married but they are worn for fashion. He also wears a scarf that is black in winter and he wears brown, big sunglasses in summer. He always has a violin case on his back and rides a black mountain bike. His hair is black, curly, and long and he ties it up. He has a mustache too. His skin is kind of brown but not too dark. I think his skin is brown because he wears black clothes even in summer. Even though he and I’ve seen each other everyday except the weekends, we have never said, “hey!” to each other. I haven’t seen him these days but my friend said she has. She said he hasn’t changed a bit, though he looks tired.

Just three days ago, I saw him! I was happy to see him again and his face seemed so familiar . Then I was raising my arm to say hi to him but I realized that we haven’t even introduced ourselves. I felt embarrassed and pretended to comb my hair with my hand.

The first time my friend and I saw this man we were in front of her apartment chattering. Then a man opened his apartment door and walked past us and I stopped chattering and suddenly laughed. I was laughing at his looks. I mean, who wears all black clothes in winter!? Even though we kept on laughing, he didn’t give us a look. He just ignored us and even smiled at us. Then I realized that this man is very nice and kind. I felt sorry for my behavior and never laughed at him again.

As I said before, I have never spoken to this man. Usually, in Japan, people are nice and always say greetings even though they don’t know each other. I want to talk to him because I want to ask if he is a violin teacher. I play violin and I am taking a break at the moment because I can’t find a good teacher. Since he always has a violin case on his back, my theory is that he is a violinist. He looks like he is very talented at violin, and looks like he would be a good violin teacher.

Even though I don’t know this strangers name, job, or his personality, I feel as if he and I are friends and I know him. I get confused so I always raise my hand to say hi. So even though he is a stranger, he is not a stranger. Maybe to him, I am a stranger or the girl who chatters in front of his apartment, but for me, he is my friend.

Zero_K DIAMOND said...
Zero_K DIAMOND, Moosic, Pennsylvania

"Life's no fun if you're not insane, otherwise you grow up to be an accountant." -Moi

That is so true! Sometimes I see people at my school that I never talk to, but see in the halls all the time, and then I go to say hi and realize that I don't even know their name!