4 Ways to Get in the Writing Mood | Teen Ink

4 Ways to Get in the Writing Mood

July 2, 2015
By octoberopal PLATINUM, San Jose, California
octoberopal PLATINUM, San Jose, California
34 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Does this sound familiar: you get out your laptop and open the word processor, only to stare at the white screen until you close it again. Sometimes it's hard to get in the "mood" to write. Sometimes you want to do something else. Sometimes you're stuck on a hard part of a piece and definitely do not want to get past that.

 

Thankfully, there are ways to get yourself in the writing mood. Once you find what works for you, writing will slip by like a breeze.

 

1. Music - find music in the tone/attitude of what you're writing. If you're having a hard time writing an emotional scene, find some sad piano music and play in your headphones. I'd recommend instrumental because songs with lyrics tend to distract you and make you focus you on the lyrics instead of the words you're writing.

 

2. Exercise - Pumping blood through your body has a way of clearing your mind. Find something you like to do, like dancing around the living room or jumping on the trampoline. Maybe add a few Jumping Jacks or Killers in there. Any way, get your body moving and you will find it easier to write.

 

3. Rewards - promise yourself a reward for each accomplishment. For example, "I can get some ice cream once I finish this chapter" or "I can call my best friend once I edit for 15 more minutes."

 

4. Breaks - it's okay to take a break. Most people recommend taking a 5-minute break every 25 minutes to get up and move, do some chores, etc. Let your mind rest, and your time of active writing will be more productive and intensely concentrated.