Confusion | Teen Ink

Confusion MAG

By Anonymous

     Confused! Confused beyond what any amount of teaching could reverse. This incurable confusion was the result of a single, simple but oh-so-significant decision made sophomore year.

An innocent check mark next to the incomprehensible course of college physics was the reason I resigned myself to total ignorance. At the time I believed, truly believed, that I was going to expand my education, which could bring nothing but benefits in the end. It is physics and nothing more. This thought led to the destruction of my realm of understanding. For my dead grandmother is closer to becoming the next queen of England than I was to predicting the effects of this decision.

Haunted, haunted by the vulture-like face of Julius Sumner Miller, the crazed physicist, whose wild explanations I am forced to listen to while sitting in my cold wooden cage. This vulture mocks me. Oh, how he mocks me for my inferiority in physics knowledge. His hideous, enormous vulture eyes grow larger-larger-larger as he watches my every feeble attempt to understand. Just as I begin to wonder, Will I ever be able to do this? quieter than a breeze brushes my front door, he whispers in my ear, "Nevermore."

Physics, the devil’s tool, has only one opponent. This rival is time. Time comes to the rescue with my clinging to nothing but hope - hope that physics will someday be lost or forgotten. For this year must pass and so must physics class. My junior year will come to a close, and it is that time again as I sit there and ponder, It is Advanced Chemistry and nothing more.

*With thanks to Edgar Allen Poe