The Picture This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Walking across the white carpet to my bureau, the picture next to my alarm catches my attention. I reach for it and study it for a few minutes. Taken at my uncle’s wedding, I remember the exact moment: Jesse and I sat at the table and Steph was walking by, and stopped for someone to snap the picture. That’s how it usually was: Jesse and I together and Steph off doing her thing.

Time is a strange thing. I notice how much has changed since it was taken, not so much the physical, but more the way things are. As I see my brother’s mischievous smile, tears fill my eyes. The loss of a best friend still hurts, and I feel the emptiness without him and miss the laughter that has been replaced with silence.

A sickening feeling of regret fills me. Regret for the things I never got to say, the good-bye I never got to give. There just wasn’t time. That’s the way life seems to go - never enough time. As tears roll down my cheeks, I look at my sister in the picture and smile.

The coldness in my heart subsides and I think about all the wonderful things my sister does for me, all the fun times and laughs we’ve had. I’ve always loved her, but I was always closer to Jesse than Stephanie, probably because of the age difference. I never really had a relationship with her when I was young, that is, not until we lost our brother, and it was just us. Many say that things happen for a reason, and no matter how much I miss him, I’m thankful for the best friend I have gained since losing him.

Without my brother, I saw my sister for who she really is: truly a great person, loyal and strong, kind and caring, and everything a girl could want for a sister. She is my best friend and I will never miss the chance to tell her how much I love her, because I know how quickly life can change. I know no matter what I do or how badly I mess up, my sister will always be there for me. And I will be there for her. Although we bicker and it seems that others get between us, no one can ever compare to my sister.

I put down the picture, and turn to leave the room, looking for my sister, my best friend.