Cash | Teen Ink

Cash MAG

The end of the school year was coming and I knew it was time to get a job. The first place I looked was at a construction company. The manager asked me a million questions, then smiled and said, “Good job. You are the ideal candidate.” He shook my hand and I knew I had a job.

The first day of work came and it felt like it would never end. I had never broken a sweat in my life, but boy was I sweating that day. I thought about quitting but decided to stick around for a week or two. Things got better, especially when I received my first paycheck for $270 which put a smile on my face! I decided to keep the job for the summer.

I learned many things working construction. I built porches, laid forms and even learned to measure and bid on roof jobs. I thought the heat would get the best of me, but I stuck with it. I found a new way to look at my job, thinking of it as if I were getting paid to get a work out and a tan. Now it is back to school, but I learned a trade and I have a fat wallet to prove it.

Never be afraid of a little work, it pays off in the long run. Find the good in everything you do and things will end up working out. I learned that I appreciate items more when I actually pay for them. And most important, it is nice to have money in my pocket and not have to go ask my mom for a dollar for a soda.

i love this so much!