Bullying | Teen Ink

Bullying

March 23, 2015
By Corbin1997 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Corbin1997 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

People get bullied everyday, in school, on the playground, and in workplaces. Someone gets bullied if they are different, if they are not popular, or if they are not as smart.

At my school, someone found the app Yik Yak. On this app, anyone could post anything anonymously. Only people within the area could post things and read them. It was a terrible thing. It become way for the students to bully each other. People said nothing but terrible things on Yik Yak. Kids were troubled. Teachers were flustered. And worst of all, people went on this app at school where you should feel safe.


People posted things they could not say to someone's face. It’s easier to say it on an app (so no one know who said it) than say it to someone's face. People got bullied and got down on themselves. People called other people bad names. Someone told a lie. And everything that could go bad did.  The bullying that happened on Yik Yak. This made me sad, disgusted, and angry that my own peers could say so many bad things about each other. I never thought that we had so many bullies here. Even the nicest people posted the worst things about people.


The administrators found out about it fast. They had their IT person block the app. They sent out letters home to parents saying what happened at school. The library put a no phone policy in place. They put posters up around the school. If teachers heard you talking about bullying, they would send you down to the principal. I felt sad that people did these things. But my school fixed the problem fast and the students also stopped bullying quickly because they realized it was a awful thing to do to one another.


I learned that our school is not a bully zone, and there are people here to stop bullying. Bullying has gone down since the stop of Yik Yak.