Tears | Teen Ink

Tears

Mary has one blue eye and one grey one. She is very upbeat and love to help people. Mary and her family that consists of her, her sister and her mom and dad are very close to her grandfather. Everyday she drives down a long empty road that has nothing but fields. After about 10 miles she pulls up to a long tan gravel driveway. She turned off the car, opened the door, took a step out and shut the door of her little white car and walks up to the old breaking down brown house. There were shingles falling off the roof and tilted shutters about to fall off from past tornados. She opens the door takes a step in and quietly shuts the door behind her. Then she walks upstairs to her grandfather who was passing away. She walks into his room that had one bed that made the sheets lay perfectly over grandpa. There was one brown bedside table with a lamp and a glass of water on it. “How are you doing today grandpa?” she says to him in a whispering tone.

“I’m doing the best I can today Mary,” he says in a warn down old man voice.

“Well, that’s good do you need me to get anything for you? Have you eaten anything today?

“I warm cup of tee would be good, and I tried to eat crackers but they didn’t sit well, thanks though,”

“Alright I will go make you some tea, I will be back up in a little bit to check on you. Call me if you need anything,” as she walks out of the room into a dark one window hallway.

“Hey Mary?” Grandpa says.

Yes Grandpa?”

“Thank you for everything you have been doing for me. It means so much that even after all of this life have lived, there are still people who want to help me,” grandpa said as a tear fell from his eye and slid down his cheek.