First Ride | Teen Ink

First Ride

We were finally at the front of the line. Standing beside Jake and his dad waiting for the small metal gate to open. When it finally did we walked under the batman symbol hanging from the roof. The dim light made it look cool, plus it was lit up so that helped. I sat down on the ride trying not to look as scared as I felt.

“What am I doing?” I asked Jake.

“Well you’re kind of about ready to ride the Batman.” He told me sounding like he didn’t care, like always.

“Are you scared?” Jakes’ dad asked me.

“Maybe just a little.” I lied. Really I was more than just a little scared. I was terrified.

“Well if you get any paler than people are going to think you’re a ghost.” He said laughing.

“Ha ha, very funny.” I said with as much sarcasm as I could. I stopped talking after that because the metal platform underneath us started to lower. With a small jolt we started to move forward, and then upward.

“You know Jake that if I get killed you’re going to be held responsible.” I told him.

“Yeah OK but you might want to stop talking now.” He said starting to hold on tighter. I looked forward to see that the track curving into a steep downward direction. I didn’t even have time to hold on. Despite being terrified, for a split second I was able to see the rest of six flags. It looked pretty cool; you could see the Ninja and the Super Man from here. The view didn’t last long; before I could blink it was replaced by the ground flying towards me. I probably would have yelled but my breath was rushed out of me when at the last second we curved upward doing a loop the loop, quickly followed by a sharp cork screw. I didn’t see anything after that because I had my legs tucked in, my eyes shut tight, and the only thing I could hear was the wind rushing by. Finally after about thirty seconds of turns, cork screws, and another loop the loop it ended.

“Well are you still alive?” Jakes dad asked. I just sat there for a little while until I said, “that was awesome!”

“Yeah it was pretty good.” Jake said with a grin on his face.

“Well I did pick a good ride to begin with.” I said still excited.

“How about we go on Mister Freeze now?” Jakes dad asked.

“NO!” Me and Jake both yelled at the same time. Jakes dad just laughed. And that was the first ride I ever rode.