Three Bills That I Think Should Be Regulated | Teen Ink

Three Bills That I Think Should Be Regulated

January 12, 2015
By Lsilver27 BRONZE, Coconut Creek, Florida
Lsilver27 BRONZE, Coconut Creek, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
You can't live A positive life with negative people.


Three bills that I think should be passed as laws are  "A Bill to Regulate the Use of Plastic Bags", "A Bill to Outlaw Smoking tobacco", and " A Bill to Increase the Fund of Public Schools".
Public schools across the nations need to be funded because the children are the future of America. To get the opportunity to receive a decent education and be safe in school one must not have to pay 1000's of dollars for private school. Increasing the fund of public school will decrease the amount of violence and deaths at public schools, give kids a better learning experience, and allow kids to learn modern day teaching methods.
Subsidizing public schools could give schools enough money to invest into hiring securities on school campus. Homicide is the second leading cause of death among youth ages 5-18. Data from this study indicates that between 1% and 2% of these deaths happen on school grounds. This may seem like a small percentage to you but I don't think it maters to the kids who were shot how big or small the percentage is. Shootings and fights at schools are unacceptable. School is a place that should be safe and peaceful for a child to learn.

Better teachers, fixing and improving the campus, and new school supplies could be bought if the bill of funding public schools is passed. Bad grades could be caused because acts of bullying and fights are taken place at school and there are no securities to stop it. Sandy hook elementary was a public school and if there were securities or police on campus the chance of the amount of children that died would have been decreased or possibly could have been non-existent. 20 children and six adults died during the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting. There was no police on campus so just sit back and ask yourself. “Don’t you think if there were at least three police on ground all of the children would have died? Aren’t the lives of young, innocent children worth the money that could be funded to public schools?”

Teaching kids modern day teaching methods will broaden the amount of job opportunities opened up because nobody wants a worker that doesn’t know any of the new methods and only knows the old and slow ones. Everyday is being advanced and it is essential to keep up with the modern day methods of the 21st century. Funding public schools could be put toward buying clean, new modern day textbooks. Learning modernly is extremely important on many levels. It is important to take care of students in public school because if we don’t the upcoming future will fall and crash. The children of today are the children of the future.

Shoppers worldwide are using approximately 500 billion single-use plastic bags per year. This translates to about a million bags every minute across the globe, or 150 bags a year for every person on earth. The numbers are rising. Since the beginning of earth human have advanced as well as destroyed this planet. From driving by garbage mountains taller than buildings to swimming with liter at the beach this all needs to stops one small step at a time. We can make this world a better a place by eliminating plastic but for a start we should start with just taxing plastic bags and seeing the results in how many more people start reaching for paper bags or recycled reusable bags rather than chemically produced plastic bags.  Taxing plastic bags will promote a cleaner ocean, will lower the amount of garbage being disposed every day, and will overall keep planet earth healthier with one benefit making us healthier to.

Here's a quick story. When I was about 6 years old I stepped onto the sea shore ready to enjoy a nice beach day but when I did I stepped onto a broken glass bottle. The cut I had gotten left a scar on my foot as it did in the earth. This world is scarred like I am from liter. Scars are permanent.  Unfortunately we can’t undo the damage we have made and send it back to its clean and natural form but we can fix it the best we can because we can’t depend on this planet if we just keep ruining it. Even though we have permanently damaged it isn’t to late to keep our ocean beautiful and blue because if we continue what we are doing the ocean one day won’t be so pretty. Plastic constitutes approximately 90% of all trash floating on the ocean’s surface, with 46,000 pieces of plastic per square mile according to one of Disney Natures movies “Oceans”. Why is there so much plastic in the ocean you may be asking yourself? Unlike other types of trash, plastic does not biodegrade; instead, it photo-degrades with sunlight, breaking down into smaller and smaller pieces, but they never really disappear. These plastic pieces are eaten by marine life, wash up on beaches, or break down into microscopic plastic dust, attracting more debris.

Every day on my way to school I pass the Monarch Hill Landfill. This landfill dates to 1965, when it started as a ten-foot high pile of debris in what was then a remote section of the county.  It currently takes in an average of 3,500 tons of trash daily and has the capacity to accept 10,000 tons of trash daily.  The U.S. alone goes through 100 billion single-use plastic bags. Now 10,000 tons may seem like a small to some of you but it sure is pretty giant to the earth. We should try our best to get people to cut down on plastic bags as much as we can and eliminate a lot of trash being sent to landfills every day.

One day at a football game I saw a man. A smoker. A father. Carrying his crying newborn child. In his right hand he was cradling his child, as a father should do when his child is crying. In his other hand he was holding a cigarette. After about maybe 5 minutes of staring at this man I wonder if he knew why his child was crying. I mean whenever I saw him singing or whispering to his crying child, smoke was coming out of him mouth right into the child’s face. I wanted to go up to and just say “c’mon use your common sense. If you really want your child to stop crying, stop smoking!” I told my mom what I saw and she happened to know the man. He was team dad for my brother’s football team. But the thing that made me the most irritated was when my mom told me that whenever she talks to him he always talks about why his child might be always coughing and gagging. Smoking tobacco is a big problem. Smoking tobacco doesn’t only hurt you but it hurts everyone around you. Outlawing tobacco can stop non smokers from second hand smoking, will saves trees, and will cut down a lot on pollution.

One good reason to outlaw tobacco is to stop second hand smoking, Second hand smoking is a big problem and needs to be confronted. SHS is a mixture of 2 forms of smoke that come from burning tobacco: Side stream smoke – smoke from the lighted end of a cigarette, pipe, or cigar. Mainstream smoke – the smoke exhaled by a smoker. You are inhaling the same thing that a smoker breathes and are doing damage to your body. Non-smoker have no choice whether they breathe in smoke in or not so America is pretty much putting themselves in the hands of smokers and letting them damage the body’s of people who don’t even smoke. Here’s a fact for you: A product called Zyklon B was what was used to exterminate Jews in gas chambers during the Holocaust. Zyklon B is hydrogen cyanide adsorbed on or released from a carrier in the form of small tablets, used as an insecticidal fumigant. The same gas used to kill millions of innocent people is used in cigarettes. Jews had no choice but to breathe in hydrogen cyanide and now us second hand smokers don’t have the choice whether we want to breathe it in or not. Nothing has changed. There are an estimated 41,000 deaths each year in the US.

Trees don’t have the choice whether they want to die or not. We need trees to keep our air clean and to give us oxygen. The paper that rolls up the ingredients of a cigarette is made from trees. Each year 360 billion cigarettes are smoked in the United States. That is a lot of tree seeing cut down. It’s a lose-lose situation. You kill a tree to make a cigarette to kill people.
 
Our world won’t be as clean as it today. The 360 billion cigarettes smoked in the United States in 2007 translates to a total of 135,000,000 pounds of discarded butts in one year in the United States alone. The filters from 5.6 trillion cigarettes (approximate world production) would weigh more than 2.1 billion pounds (see table below). According to preventcigarettelitter cigarettes are the most littered item in the U.S. Smoking tobacco is unnecessary and are causing to many problems costing us millions of lives and dollars. Nothing positive comes out of smoking tobacco. 

"A Bill to Regulate the Use of Plastic Bags", "A Bill to Outlaw Smoking tobacco", and " A Bill to Increase the Fund of Public Schools" are three laws that I think are very important to put thought into because our world will be a better place if these laws are worked on.


The author's comments:

Here are three bills that I strongly believe should be regulated.