How She Stole My Happiness | Teen Ink

How She Stole My Happiness

By Jasleen Kaur BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
Jasleen Kaur BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin

Ever wonder, “How are most crimes solved?” or “How does the bad guy always get caught even when they escaped somewhere far?” This is all the work of Forensic Science. Forensic Science has been the heart and brain of criminal investigations since before Abraham Lincoln was born. People misunderstand Forensic Science, and believe it is much more capable than it actually is. As a matter of fact, 90% of what you see on tv, such as CSI or NCIS is exaggerated or false. Abby in NCIS is a Forensic Scientist. Her job seems like the funnest and happiest job anyone could ever have. Television portrays her job and fun, exciting and adventurous. A Forensic Scientist’s job is almost opposite to that. The word forensic comes simply means “having to do with the law.” It is the use of scientific principles and ideas along with scientific methods to analyze material connected with a crime; Forensic Pathology, Forensic Anthropology, Forensic Psychology, etc.
Without question, Forensic Science come a very long way since the 700s when the Chinese used fingerprints to establish identification of documents and sculptures. Fingerprinting was one of its first applications. A Eugenicist named Sir Francis Galton established the first system for classifying fingerprints. “James Marsh was the first to apply this new science to the art of forensics. He was called by the prosecution in a murder trial to give evidence as a chemist in 1832.” (Yeatts) In 1835, Henry Goddard used Forensic Science to connect a bullet to a murder weapon. Then came along Calvin Goddard who created the comparison microscope to help determine which bullets came from which shell casings in 1920s. Because of that, bullet examination became more precise. Finally, in the 1970s, a team of scientists at the Aerospace Corporation developed a method for detecting gunshot residue using scanning electron microscopes. In the 20th century, there were new forensic techniques being created and the at that time, the police realized that they could use the new technology to their advantage. They created a team that specialized in analyzing evidence found at crime scenes. Towards the end of the 20th century, forensic scientists had many of high tech tools in use for analyzing evidence for DNA analysis to digital fingerprinting techniques with computer search capabilities. The history of Forensic Science has brought us to where society is today. The law enforcement has solved enormous amounts of crimes and murders that wouldn’t have been possible without the work of Forensic Science.
“A forensic pathologist collects samples from an autopsy. They then study the samples to see if there are any changes in the body due to disease, injury, or unexpected chemicals.” (“Forensic Science. Science...Nonfiction.”) Like most medical careers, forensic pathology takes years of training. Usually four years of medical school, followed by three to four years of training in anatomical or clinical pathology. “Students planning careers as a forensic scientist must have perseverance, curiosity, and the ability to concentrate on detail and work independently.” (Dillon, 5.)  Now, most people would ask, “Is it worth it?” Absolutely. Forensic Pathologists are crucial in the criminal justice system. “Forensic Pathologists have been actively involved in the identification of mass disasters, such has the Bali bombings, the Boxing Day tsunami, and the Black Saturday Bushfires in Victoria, among many others.” (“Forensic Science.” Scientific Mysteries) For example, a Forensic Pathologist had solved a murder of Leanne Tiernan. The victim had a plastic bag over her head which was held in place with a dog collar along with a scarf and cable tie around her neck. Along with that, the same cable ties were wrapped around her wrist so she wouldn’t escape. The murderer wrapped her body in green plastic bin liners tied with twine. Now, what the pathologist did was find hairs in the victim’s scarf, find dog hairs on the body, pink fabric on the clothes, with a specific pattern of dye. With this information, the police officers were successful in capturing the murderer.  Forensic Pathologists are not only working in manners of a doctor, but also as a detective. They try to find the cause of death, disease or injury which can sometimes be completely ambiguous. “In the early 1900’s, the French physician Edmond Locard developed the principle that would become central to forensic science. In what is known today as the Locard exchange principle, he stated that every contact, no matter how slight, causes a transfer of material. Thus, a criminal always leaves some amount of material at a crime scene. In addition, some amount of material from a crime scene will remain, for a time at least, on a criminal. Forensic pathologists examine this transferred material.” (“Forensic Science. Funk and Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia.”)  Therefore, Forensic Pathologists are a crucial part of the Forensic Science field as well as the Criminal Justice.
Forensic Anthropologists are trained forensic scientists who apply their knowledge of Biology, Science, and their culture to the legal process. The anthropologists actually work with pathologists to identify human remains, along with homicide detectives and other specialists. Although there were many famous murders solved through investigation of bones and body fragments, it wasn’t until the late 1930s that the relation of Anthropologists and the police was fully acknowledged.  “In identifying a person's race from skeletal remains, anthropologists recognize three major racial groups: Caucasoid, Mongoloid, and Negroid. These classifications are not based on skin color but on features of the skull and other skeletal traits. For example, in Caucasoids, the femur is curved, while in Negroids the femur is straight.”  (Friedlander Jr.) This shows that they not only identify human remains, but they also have to try to figure out which race they are. In order to be an anthropologist, you have to pay attention to great amount of details. If you miss one thing, it may be hard to go back. For instance, sometimes teeth can be sliced in cross sections to determine age. They use an electron microscope to look at the layers of material covering the main tissue of the tooth. That is because as the person grows older, more layers develop. Forensic Anthropology has solved many cases. According to the American Board of Forensic Anthropology, individuals need a bachelor’s degree and master’s degree in Anthropology, in order to become a successful Anthropologist. 
Another type of forensic science is an important and fascinating type called forensic psychology. Crime is becoming a bigger problem in today’s society, particularly in populated areas. Professionals in Forensic Psychology are given the opportunities and responsibilities of trying to figure out why certain types of people commit certain crimes, what type of person commits crimes and how to prevent people from committing them. Forensic Psychology is very similar to the term Criminal Psychology. “Though recent interest in forensic sciences (any science used for the purpose of law) has sparked public interest in the workings of a criminal mind, the field of study called criminal psychology has been around for a long time. In fact, one textbook still used today, Criminal Psychology: A Manual for Judges, Practitioners, and Students, was written by Hans Gross and originally published in 1911.” (Chapter One: What is Criminal Psychology) This type of Forensic Science isn’t used with mathematics or chemistry. This is more of a subjective science meaning it depends more on observation, interpretation, opinion, and perception rather than on physical laws, formulas or equations. Many people mistake criminal or forensic psychology with profiling. Although  there are many similarities between forensic psychology and profiling, they are both different in their own ways. “Criminal psychologists study the minds and behaviors of criminals and others associated with crime in order to understand how and why they operate the way they do and to identify certain patterns of behavior. Profilers are criminal psychologists who study hard facts and targeted information about specific criminals and their crime scenes and then summarize what they discover into general behavioral traits, patterns, and characteristics that fit the known facts.” (Chapter One: What is Criminal Psychology?)  In order to do this profession, one must have strong detective skills. They must have critical thinking, knowledge of social and cultural issues, legal knowledge, social psychology training and experience and excellent writing skills. Overall, Forensic Psychology is one of the most excellent ways to catch and stop criminals.
Imagine a world where criminals run freely with no evidence holding them back. Murderers commit murders, thieves would continue to steal, and drug dealers would continue to deal. Fortunately, in today’s society, science is solving everything in collecting evidence and solving crimes. “It takes hard work to keep up with criminals. As John H. Wigmore, Dean of Northwestern University's law school, noted in 1910,’
in each age, crime takes advantage of conditions, and then society awakes and gradually overtakes crime.’ There's no doubt that the future of forensics holds serious challenges to be faced, but it also has endless possibilities.” (Yeatts) There are so many crimes that could not have been solved in the past because we did not have the proper technology. The FBI and police detectives are still to this day, solving crimes from 25-30 years ago. “Forensics has traveled a long road to become the well-established, exciting field that it is today. Throughout the ages, people have wanted to investigate suspicious deaths, as well as find ways to look into other types of crime. Lack of scientific knowledge, however, prevented many forensic specialties from advancing until the nineteenth or twentieth century.” (“Yeatts. Using Science to Investigate Crimes”) For example, there was a case in 1975 of Donna Hooker who was raped and strangled and body dumped into a field near her home. Back then, there was no way of collecting evidence and examining it, so the case went cold. Donna Hooker’s case, along with 1,500 other cases are being reopened using new DNA technology. If we can solve cases from 30 years ago, imagine how many cases we will be able to solve in the future with new technology. “Companies such as Epson are working on a solution to the problem of digital photograph authentication. Epson has developed a software program called the Image Authentication System that designates images as "authentic" or "inauthentic." Inauthentic images are ones that have been changed in any way.” (Yeatts) Not only Espon, but many other companies such as the National Forensic Science Technology Center or Forensic Analytical Sciences are looking for ways to advance our forensic science technology. Devices called mass spectroscopes have become extremely important to forensics and hold many promises to the future of forensic tests. “Oak Ridge National Laboratory chemist Michelle Buchanan has applied the mass spectrometry process to advance fingerprinting technology. A mysterious abduction/murder case in 1994 prompted police officer Art Bohanon to ask if children's fingerprints fade more quickly than adult prints. To answer his question, Michelle Buchanan ran mass spectrometry tests and discovered that children's fingerprints contain more volatile chemicals than adult prints. This information indicated that, yes, children's prints don't last as long. Buchanan then set to work on creating a special child-sensitive fingerprint kit.” (Yeatts) If the companies keep running tests like these ones, and finding out more information, imagine where the future of forensic science could go to.
Although being a forensic scientist may sound intriguing and riveting, it’s not all exciting as it seems. In TV shows or movies, forensic scientists interrogate witnesses, search crime scenes, and uncover specific pieces of evidence. “Most forensic scientists are civilians who do not carry a weapon or have the power to arrest people. They do not usually search for clues at a crime scene. Instead, they work in laboratories, carefully and methodically examining material. A forensic scientist must often appear as an expert witness in the courtroom to justify his or her results.” (“Forensic Science. Funk and Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia.”) In real life, they have to deal with unpleasant working conditions, working weekends and holidays, while they spend most of their time in a lab.
Even though there are many disadvantages of being a forensic scientist, it isn’t all that bad as it seems. Becoming a Forensic Scientist means you are very involved in your job and it’s a hands on profession. Forensic Scientists are constantly getting different pieces of evidence and cases so it’s not easy to get bored of their job because Every time they see the results of your work, they can tell how important it is to others, especially if they are working a fire or a murder. Every time Forensic Scientists get new cases, they get to meet new people and work closely with them. They can be the cause to catching a criminal and putting them in prison. Salaries of Forensic Scientists are fairly high.  For a Forensic Psychologist, the salary would be roughly $61,000. For a Forensic Anthropologist, the salary could be anywhere from $35,000 to $50,000. Lastly, for a Forensic Pathologist the salary would range from $80,000 to $200,000 per year. A Forensic Pathologist with 20 or more years of experience could make over $272,000 a year along with insurance, vacations and other benefits. “In recent times, science has provided substantial aid to crime detection. Because anything in the physical universe has the potential of becoming an item of evidence in an investigation, a wide variety of procedures may be used in analyzing and interpreting evidence in a criminal case. These procedures include examining firearms, serological and toxicological tests, examining hairs and fibers, DNA analysis, mineralogical and metallurgical tests, and document examination.” (“Crime Detection. Funk and Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia”)
Because of Forensic Science, enormous amounts of criminal cases have been solved and there are many more to come. If Forensic Science never existed, imagine how many criminals would have escaped. How many crimes would have gone unsolved, and how many people would have no justice. Relatives of individuals would be wondering their whole lives, what happened to their loved ones. With Forensic Science finding the criminals and solving the crimes, it helps families overcome their guilt and depression and helps them move on and know their loved one’s killer isn’t out there anymore.  Although there are many types of Forensic Sciences such as Forensic Psychology, Forensic Pathology or Forensic Anthropology, they all come together for one purpose: to solve crimes. Whether it be a robbery, a murder, drug trafficking, sex trafficking, etc. All objects in this world are unique. No two things by chance ever happen the same way. It’s not possible that two different people could have the same fingerprints. Because of this, it makes their job much easier because, no things things are exactly the same.