Smile? | Teen Ink

Smile?

December 23, 2014
By Jacob2015 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Jacob2015 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
18 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Writing means sharing. It's part of the human condition to want to share things - thoughts, ideas, opinions." Paulo Coelho


There was a large 30 lb turkey on the table surrounded by eight hungry faces. Before we were allowed to feast, each member of my family began to tell what they were most thankful for. Meaningful heartfelt things were said, along with less meaningful things like my aunt’s thankfulness for Black Friday and pecan pie. When it came to my grandfather, Old Bobby, I was expecting him to say, "I'm glad to have a loving family" or some corny soft thanks of that sort. But he didn't. He said that he was thankful for his dentist, Dr. Sheryl.

            My grandfather, Old Bobby, then explained the meaning behind his gratitude towards his own dentist, and to dentists as a whole. He explained the pain he had been in for the last 60 years, as Bobby had not seen a dentist since his childhood. Bobby talked about the Vietnam war, and explained the obscene meals that harmed his teeth, and caused pain in his mouth for weeks on end. My grandpa went over six decades without seeing a dentist, for what reason, I don't know.

            Old Bobby told us he finally went to the dentist for the first time in decades a week ago. He said the pain became too much to bare. My grandfather told us if it wasn't for his dentist Dr. Sheryl, he would not be with us right now. He told us that Dr. Sheryl caught and noticed plaque and an infection in his mouth. Had she not caught this, it would have gotten into his bloodstream and clogged his arteries in only a few hours.

            Of course that was back in 2012, but Old Bobby started a trend. Every year since then someone has said they were thankful for their dentist, their Doctor, or any person who has created a positive difference to their well being. And If I had to sum up who I am thankful for this year, I would say without skipping a beat that it's my dentist Dr. Sheryl, who also happens to be my mother. That's a double whammy.