I Am A | Teen Ink

I Am A

December 18, 2008
By Anonymous

“Beep, Beep, Beep!” My black shiny alarm clock goes off a quarter to six. I jump off my bed and shut it off. Today was my first day of seventh grade; the day I’ve been waiting for forever. Now that it is actually here, I have changed my mind. My stomach hurt so bad that I thought I was going to throw up. As I reached for my brush, I realized my hands were shaking dramatically. After I was finished getting ready, I ran to the car.

On the ride to school, I ate a pop tart because I didn’t have time to eat at home. The ride seemed never ending, but finally we reached the vast building. As I approached the doors, it looked like they were eyes staring at me. I hesitated to open the door; but I did after a short while. I walked in slowly and found my friend, Nikki. Luckily and with excitement, I ran up to give her a hug. I told her I was so excited to see her because I was so scared. She walked me to my locker and we looked at our schedules hoping we had classes together. She stayed with me until the bell rang, then we had to go to reading. I finally found my class and met my teacher named Mrs. Bradley. She gave me a big smile and told me where to sit. I didn’t see any other class mates I knew. She went over the expectations, rules, and any questions we had.

The day was finally going by really fast, until gym came. What if no one is in my class? I thought. What I expected; no one! I wanted to cry, but I didn’t. Then a really tall girl walked into the locker room right after me. I found out her name was Lauren and we talked for a while. We also found out that our brothers were friends and we didn’t even know. I was finally happy, and she introduced me to her friend in our class, Blythe. She was really nice and funny. After gym class ended, we had to go to lunch. I thought this is the time to ditch, but I had never ditched before! I set my stuff in my locker and realized I forgot my lunch. I slowly and quietly walked into the lunchroom. This is when I noticed how crazy middle school was. I first saw a group of girls laughing hysterically. They were gorgeous, as if they didn’t have a blemish on them. They wore expensive looking clothes and then I looked at what I was wearing. I didn’t want them to see me because then I wondered if they were laughing at me! I hurried to the lunch line when I zoned out. I looked at all the other “groups”; it looked as if they were all meant for each other. I realized this was where I would find my place in life. For once that day, I wanted to stay at school; I wanted to find my friends!
I went to the rest of my classes and met some more people. They all looked like they were my type and we had many things in common. I couldn’t wait to go back tomorrow and see all my new friends again! Don’t judge a book by It’s cover, because that someone could end up being your best friend.