The Phantom of the Opera (Descriptive Essay) | Teen Ink

The Phantom of the Opera (Descriptive Essay)

December 16, 2008
By Anonymous

A live theatre experience is single-handedly one of the most amazing and thrilling thing you will ever experience. This breath-taking phenomenon is probably amplified a hundred times over when you see your first live performance on Broadway in New York.

The house lights are fully up inside the grand Majestic Theatre in New York City. The orchestra is tuning up in the pit. French Horns, Piccolos, Violins, Clarinets, Trumpets, and half a dozen other instruments play up and down their musical scales. Playbills crinkle as anxious audience members murmur and discuss the show that is set to begin in 5 minutes. The air is filled with the distinct aroma of floral perfume and strong cologne. The elegantly dressed patrons are taking their seats. Soon, every chair is filled with a stylishly dressed lady or gentlemen.

All around, the theatre is garnished with ornate gold statues and radiant jewels, which sparkle in the bright house lights, covering the area above the stage and even adorning the private boxes. Directly above the center of the stage, a huge golden statue depicting three scantly-clad angels hangs regally. The magnificent velvet curtains are a vivid shade of scarlet, closely matching every cushioned seat in the packed theater.

Suddenly, a hush comes over the orchestra. The lights slowly dim, signaling the buzzing audience that the moment they had all been waiting for had arrived. There is a pause for several seconds. All is silent. Suddenly the Overture begins. Haunting organ music fills the auditorium. The show has begun!

The heavy curtains are pulled open, and a single woman, dressed in a heavy gown of black, green, gold and scarlet, enters center stage. The first notes that she utters are all terribly high, and she sings of love and war, as any great opera diva would. She is soon joined by her fellow cast members, all wearing the exact same colors as our diva. There are oera divas, chorus girls, and ballerinas alike, depicting war heroes, slaves, princesses, citizens, and about any other character you could think of. They effortlessly transport the entire entranced audience back to the 1880’s, and into the exciting, romantic, and tragic story that is “The Phantom of the Opera”.

The author's comments:
I wrote this for my English writing assignment for the 07-08 school year. The goal was to fully describe an event or scene to the best of our abilaty. I chose to write about the opening of my first every Broadway musical, "The Phantom of the Opera." :)