What is the significance of the 1st african american president in the united states | Teen Ink

What is the significance of the 1st african american president in the united states

December 16, 2008
By Anonymous

What is the Significance of the 1st African American President in the United States?

History was made on November 5th 2008 when Barack Obama was elected the 44th president of the United States.
His election has major significance on the United States not only by marking the election of the first African American President but also the election of the first Roman Catholic vice President. This election marked the first of many things; it was the first time since the election of John F Kennedy in 1960 that a sitting senator was elected President. The first time two sitting senators ran against each other , the first time that the major party nominees were born outside of the continental United States, the first time since the election in 1952 that neither the official president nor the official vice president was a candidate in the general election and the first time since the election in 1928 that neither one sought his party's nomination for president.
I think that all these facts play a very sigificant part in the 2008 elction. In the United States we have structural racism that hopefully will be gone now that the first African American President was elected. Senator Obama went around the racial issues in running for the presidency I think doing this also helped him win. Some people think that he ran for president just because he wanted to be the first African American President. By not bringing up the racial issue I think showed people that he wasn’t running just to prove something.
I think that this election will have a major impact on the United States by not only breaking history more than once but also proving that any one can be president or hold office. It will show that it doesn’t matter what race you are or what your religion is you still have the same opportunities as everyone else. In this election we have not only broken history once but multiple times. Having the first African American president will play a major role in our society as well.
With the election of 2008 we had some major systematical racism appear people were threatening to move out of the county just because a African American was running in the race. This election showed how many people are really racist and how set they are on not having a African American President. I think that this election has a major significance on the racism issue and will hopefully due away with it and the racial subjection that people have gone through.