Why I'm Proud to be an American | Teen Ink

Why I'm Proud to be an American

By Saheebd GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Saheebd GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

There are 196 countries in the world, but there is only one America. These countries have wars raging from the people against the government about inequality. We can all agree on equality for all because we believe that it is a right for citizens. America has the Bill of Rights in our Constitution devoted to the rights of the American people. Not just men have these rights, but women do too. I am proud to be an American because of the rights that women have.

During the First World War, Alice Paul and many others battling for suffrage were arrested. After a 60-day sentence in a workhouse, the women were finally released to continue their fight for women’s suffrage (which was successful). After Congress passed the law for women’s suffrage, Paul continued claiming that discrimination against women wouldn’t stop with suffrage. The Equal Rights Amendment was passed by congress years later, which allowed women to have the same rights as men. Many countries have been struggling with women’s rights, but in America, women have access to the same types of education, workforce and voting. I have the opportunity to go to which ever school I please and get whatever job I wish to attend.

Women weren’t originally allowed to vote, but after years of tedious work, they finally gained suffrage. America has grown from 13 colonies to a world powerhouse. With this growth in the country has led to growth in rights for the citizens residing in America. Voting makes me have a special tie to the country, because I can choose who I want to see representing America.

Our country has grown throughout the years, leading to an increase of opportunities. Now with the hard work of many, we are allowed the same rights as men. We may have a long way to go with the world, but with have one less country to worry about. The equality of all really makes me supportive of the country and proud to be residing in it.