No Title | Teen Ink

No Title

By Jenayesina SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Jenayesina SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

“Siento que soy libre.” I feel that I am free.

Land of the free. It’s what America is known for. For your freedom, you can do as you believe is right. But is America really the land of the free? Or is that just what we’re led to believe? To be free...what does it actually mean?

“Hermosa no siempre significa bueno.” Beautiful doesn’t mean good.

When you think about Puerto Rico, one thinks, hot, beautiful, and great for vacation. But, being Puerto Rican and knowing what it’s really like there, I’d much rather be in America. Puerto Rico is an American territory, but there are more opportunities to become successful in America. One has more school and economic opportunities, not to mention there are better career paths..

“Todo lo que no es como esperaba.” Everything is not as you expect.

Puerto Rico doesn’t stress education as much. Most teenage girls get pregnant and drop out of school. Young teenage boys join gangs, and there’s places cops won’t go because they’ll get shot at. In Puerto Rico, it’s like the men control the women--both what they do and how they do it. If you’re pregnant in America, you can stay in school. The American police haven’t let gangs get out of control, and there aren’t places the police won’t go. 

“Para ser libre.” To be free.
Americans have freedom of speech and religion--the two main freedoms--but you are not completely free to destroy your life.

Land of the free. To be free, what does that actually mean?

“Me siento orgulloso de ser americano, Latinoamericanio.” I am proud to be American, Latin American.