American | Teen Ink

American

By Vasili SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Vasili SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

I am proud to be an American because we are given the opportunity and freedom to make choices. There is not a lot better in my opinion then flipping through the channels watching the big three sports, baseball, basketball, and football with my Dad. These are American sports because they were made in America, and I love playing them all.

In America, I have the opportunity to play any sport of my choice. There are some sports I am good at and some I am horrific at, but I still have the choice. 
Sports are most of America’s favorite past time.  There are many different channels on TV just for the viewing of different sporting events.  If you wanted to, you could watch sports 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year.  What other country offers this?
In America, we have the choice to live out the American Dream. If Americans are good at something, we still have the option to do something else. But in places like China, if you are talented at sports), that’s all you would do. Children who are excellent athletes, are put into school where they are told that they are going to train for that sport. They don’t have the choice to pursue another career.
I’m proud to be an American because everyone has the opportunity to strive for greatness. Playing sports, anyone can do it. If they put their mind to it. Some are better than others, but the thing about sports is you don’t have to be good at them to have fun. Sports is one of the many activities that brings people together socially. And that is why I am proud to be an American