Freedom | Teen Ink

Freedom

November 10, 2014
By 16Anna SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
16Anna SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Freedom is the power or right to act, speak, or think without hindrance or restraint. That is why I am proud to be growing up in this amazing, free country, known as America.
Growing up in this generation made me realize how this country has advanced, from the end of slavery in 1865 to 2014 when. Today 32 states have legalized gay marriage. When you live in this amazing country, you have the feeling of safety and acceptance because of how people accept changes and different outlooks. 
In 2013, The United States Census Bureau calculated there were 316,128,839 citizens in the United States. Out of all of those people, every single one is there own person. No one is exactly alike. The freedom to be yourself and show who you really are and not have to be like someone else is a plus of being an American.
I feel the best part of being who you are is the ability to show express yourself in clothing. When you look around, everyone has different, unique styles and the amazing thing is that everyone is accepted no matter how they look, act, or the way they express themselves. 
I think of it this way: America is like a closet, nothing is the exact same and we are all unique.