DiSaBiLiTiEs | Teen Ink

DiSaBiLiTiEs

December 30, 2008
By Nathan Hodgson BRONZE, Beaverton, Oregon
Nathan Hodgson BRONZE, Beaverton, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Nobody will ever understand nor will they comprehend...the world so small, yet so complex. To me it is nothing but a dangerous time bomb ready to explode. Life, so short, yet so long...it is almost to infinity. I am going nowhere, time is moving but I am standing still like a statue, a stone-cold statue. At first it seemed hopeless, now it seems helpless. I am drowning in a sea of sorrow, water fills my mouth. I am choking slowly fading away into the mist. I feel doomed and isolated. My family tries to break through, my mom and dad, but it’s like breaking through ice. They see a reflection of me, in the murky sea water. If I was different, and how much happier things would be. From the beginning I was lost in a desert of recklessness but that desert has soon yet to become an oasis. A flower, struggling to bloom, the sun refusing to shine. This is how I felt. Deep inside, I know none of them. All my friends, family and acquaintances will never understand what I go through, my fears, feelings and dread. I am scared and frightened. It is all so confusing. Some describe it as being part of a maze. Others cannot even explain it because they do not care nor do they give a damn about what I have or this strange disease that has infected me like a bad cold that never fades. Everyone thinks they are helping while they are only making it worse...until they push it too far and I crack open like an egg. I feel like I just sprung a leak like a rusted pipe. People, they trap me in a cage without a key. “It’s so easy”...they say, he has it easy...his life must be so “easy”. Monsters, disgusting, despicable makes me want to throw up. My head, it is shrinking to the size of a tangerine...it hurts. Popularity, has nothing and is nothing. To me it is as blank as a black hole sucking me in deeper, deeper... I do my best, yet it doesn’t make a difference, everyone says no it doesn’t make a difference what you do, “try harder”. But let’s face it, no one can save me, they can try and try until I am dead. Never will they know what it is like to be ME. This is how it will stay...Forever.

The author's comments:
I wrote this to share my feelings to other people who are austistic like me...what we go through in life, our feelings and fear in being different with the rest of society. Hopefully everyone who reads this piece with or without disabilities will understand how we feel about being different.