Why I Am Proud To Be An American | Teen Ink

Why I Am Proud To Be An American

By Amanda Schaefer GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Amanda Schaefer GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

“We have to be home in time for the Packer game!” I can’t count how many times I have heard this phrase. And I never get sick of it. Every game day is a Schaefer tradition. All eight of us sitting around the TV watching our favorite football team not only entertains us, but also bring our family together.
Having six kids and two parents makes it nearly impossible to do anything together. Whether it’s football practice, math competitions or music lessons, we are lucky to even find time to have dinner together. But when there’s a Packer game, we clear our schedules. The rule is this:  once it is time for kick off, you are expected to be sitting on our ugly green couches ready to cheer.
No one gets more excited about Packer games then my youngest brother Avery, a third grader. Before the game even starts, he checks on the stats. Then he will make sure everyone in the house knows if the Packers are expected to win and who is injured on the team. Avery watches the game in his Packer jersey, screams at the TV, and even calls the plays before they even happen.  But it’s not just Avery that gets excited, it’s the whole family. Once the referee’s arms go up signaling a touchdown, you can expect the Schaefer household to get loud. We will be screaming, jumping, and high fiving. And I love it.
In some countries, families are lucky if they can live together, let alone enjoy something together. But here in America, we have the opportunity to live with our loved ones and spend time with them. In America we have the freedom to make choices, whether it’s something as small as picking your favorite football team, or something as big as who you want to be president. Those are just two of my favorite reasons why America is great.
No matter how hectic our lives get, we always have our Schaefer tradition and the Packers will always pull us together. This is something you can only have in America.