How to Make Your Audience Scream | Teen Ink

How to Make Your Audience Scream

By DeannaAltomara SILVER, Mahwah, New Jersey
DeannaAltomara SILVER, Mahwah, New Jersey

It’s that time of year again. The leaves are dripping from bloody trees, crunching like bones under your feet as you walk. With the cold wind and creaking branches, fall marks the perfect time for a ghost story. Have no fear of unleashing demons over the heads of those around you—when told in the right way, even the most mundane ghost story can become spellbinding.

Keep it real. This isn’t medieval Europe. Most people laugh at the idea of vampires and witches. Transplant the old legends into the modern world to allow your listeners to connect with the characters. When infused with realistic details, depth and plausibility can be added to any supernatural thrillers.
Get Dirty. Life is messy, and so should your story. Dig at your listeners; make them question their own beliefs. Don’t shy away from the big questions: What comes after death? Why does evil exist? Nothing is scarier than the unknown.
Recall, don’t recite. We’ve all heard our foreign language teachers beg us to not memorize our presentations, but they actually present an important point in public speaking of any language. Reading off a script not only makes you sound fake, it can also rob you of your connection with the audience. Know the general idea of your story, but don’t repeat it verbatim. Instead, focus on your audience’ reaction so you can better pull them in with what draws their attention best.
No eyeballs, please. Blood and guts have their place, but nothing conjures up more gore than the imagination. Skip the gruesome details, leaving behind one or two that will then make an extra powerful impression on your audience. The best horror stories utilize suspense, fear from what can’t be seen.
Leave the big guns for last. The conclusion is the most important part of the story; it’s your last chance to freak the audience out with something memorable. Always pack the ending with an unforgettable zest, whether that means having a friend slam the door and shriek, parting off on a cliff-hanger, or leaving the storyline open to continuation in their own lives.
But most of all? Have fun. The best way to make a story boring is to not put your heart into it.

Stage Fright? Conquer your audience with these foolproof ghost story tips!