Doing Your Best | Teen Ink

Doing Your Best

October 23, 2014
By Peter Brain BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Peter Brain BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The famous American author Og Mandino once said, “Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later.” These words that Mandino wrote have a deeper meaning for teens that are just starting to plan out their future lives. Most adults have passed the point of planting the deep meaningful seeds, but we, the teens, still have the opportunity to choose which seeds need to grow. The ideal of planting now so it can be harvested later can be applied in so many aspects of teen lives. From sports and school, to part-time jobs and hobbies, all can be improved upon and feel more satisfying after they are completed. 

Determining what one wants to do with their life, is an important question that everyone asks themselves when they are teens. This life choice often has lasting impacts on careers and people’s lives. The kind of college one attends or the job one has is all determined by the amount of effort a student puts in during school. But, the choice of doing well or scraping by is up to the individual. This is where the first part of Mandino quote comes in and it explains what one should do in this situation: “Always do your best.” The idea of always trying to do one’s best is hard for everyone. Not trying in a certain class because it’s not appealing or not trying out for the school play or team because the thoughts of not being good enough discourage any attempt. Trying in these scenarios might plant the seeds for to be reaped later on in life.
The harvesting of the seeds might come at different times but are all helpful in the end. Playing a sport, for example lends itself to maybe a scholarship in college that may be yielded as one attends college. But, other seeds from the sport can be harvested later on, the idea of staying fit can make its return much later on in life and can keep people in better health than if they did not play a sport. The further advancement of people’s lives extends from the return of these seeds. The endeavor of doing the best in one’s classes at school will allow the ability of getting into college or finding a job.
The amount of future success that is obtainable relies on the ability to try new things. Adding more and more experiences will broaden the understanding that one has of the world by allowing people to perceive the viewpoints of those around them. Understanding where people come from and their viewpoint will make it easier to work in groups or even lead people. These experiences will help teens bolster their resume for college and give experience for future options to work in managerial positions. 
In conclusion, trying the best one can do is a more important endeavor for teens than any other age group. The sowing and reaping of Mandino’s “seeds” is the most important part of Mandino’s phrase. The sowing of the seeds during one’s teenage years directs them through their lives. As time goes on, the seeds that were planted can be harvested to yield the fruits of the future, which can lead to colleges and a rewarding occupation. Resulting in a fulfilling and joyful life.