Ebola is Out and About | Teen Ink

Ebola is Out and About

October 23, 2014
By Jayne Moynihan BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Jayne Moynihan BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When is the last time you worried about being infected with an uncontained, deadly virus? Never? That’s because in the US, we do a sufficient job of preventing viruses and diseases from becoming rampant. It has been a long time since our country has worried about an incurable virus epidemic throughout the country. Unfortunately, there are several countries that have continually battled lethal contagions. Specifically, in West Africa countries such as Guinea, Sierra Leone, and Liberia have suffered tremendously from the spread of one virus; this virus is Ebola.
Ebola is a deadly illness, which health researches have found no cure. Transmitted through bodily fluids, it takes up to 21 days to show symptoms; symptoms that one would normally associate with the flu or a bad cold/fever. Since these symptoms are so common, patients are usually diagnosed too late. Late diagnosis leads to symptoms gradually increasing and becoming unmanageable. Ultimately, ending in the death of the contaminated person. Ebola is one of the world’s deadliest diseases with a 90% chance of mortality, which is about 4,493 deaths according to the CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention).
So why should we care in the US, if this disease has only killed people in Africa? Well, a man from Texas, Thomas Duncan, brought Ebola over to the US. He was traveling in Liberia and became infected with the disease. The patient went to the hospital, initially the doctors misdiagnosed, and sent him home with antibiotics. Days after being misdiagnosed, he was back in the hospital and was critically ill. The doctors ran many tests and confirmed he did indeed have Ebola. The patient was isolated until he sadly passed away.
In addition to Thomas Duncan, we must be worrying about those brave doctors and healthcare professionals who were caring for this infected man. There have been 2 reported cases of nurses who have become ill with Ebola. According to ABC News, nurse Amber Vinson took a flight, while having a fever, from Cleveland to Dallas. She was unofficially diagnosed with Ebola at the time, but had symptoms of a fever. The plane took 5 other trips after Vinson’s flight and has been taken out of service and disinfected. There were over 130 other people on her flight. Health officials say that those individuals should not worry, but should stay aware for potential infection.
No matter where you live, whether its Dallas, Africa, or California, Ebola shouldn’t be an issue to worry about. The CDC is certain this disease will not cause a national outbreak. They have contained all possible risks of the disease spreading. That being said, this is a scary yet, very real problem. Do not worry about contracting Ebola, but do be conscience about the issue. Public places may carry viruses; assuming that other people may not be aware they have symptoms. It cannot hurt to be extra careful. Bear in mind, Ebola is out and about in the US.