Front Line of Embarrassment This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Humiliated to the point of tears, I stepped out of line. My kindergarten peers giggled and whispered. More than anything, I wanted to disappear, melt into the ground. I stared at the floor, desperately searching for an escape. As the seconds passed, my stomach twisted into knots. The large and frightening second graders walked past. Their laughs bounced around the walls of the hallway and pierced me. I was blushing apple red and my face felt so hot that maybe, hopefully, there was a chance I’d melt away. To say that I was embarrassed would be an understatement.

Even now as I’m remembering that moment, I feel uneasy and self-conscious. Ten years have passed yet I still struggle reliving the event. I’m horrified even at the thought of another person reading this.

Though part of me wishes to forget that day, it is stuck like unwanted gum in the corner of my mind. I can still remember my kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Baine, ringing the bell to end recess. As she vigorously waved the bell in the air, her entire body shook. I abandoned my hole in the sandbox and sprinted toward the door. As I dashed past my classmates their images blurred and my eyes locked on my destination.

I had a theory. For the last few days, I had noticed that there was a connection between winning the foot race to the door and being chosen as Leader for the Day. And my theory was proven right. As I stood ­victoriously at the front of the line, Mrs. Baine held up a yellow popsicle stick with my name etched into the wood in large, shaky writing. She declared that I had been chosen.

I was overwhelmed with pride. The position was highly respected by all kindergarteners. The Leader for the Day had extra cookie rights and spinning-chair privileges. This honored person was entrusted to call everyone’s name for attendance. But best of all, Leader for the Day led the line all the way down the hallway.

I was determined to have a great day. My first few hours were wonderful. I was giddy and excited. These feelings climaxed when Mrs. Baine lined us up for gym class. I proudly assumed my position at the front of the line. Spinning hundreds of circles in the comfy chair and gorging on extra cookies was great, but ­neither of these could compare to leading the class through the hallways.

Looking back, I don’t understand what was so ­magical about being in the front of the line for this two-minute walk. True, the first person had a more scenic view, but judging by the way we fought over it, there must have been more. A sense of excitement filled me whenever I was in front. I guess every other kid felt that way too. We invented ways to trick others into letting us cut in front of them. “What do scissors do?” was one such trap. The jealous person second in line often jeered, “First is the worst, second is the best!” Feeling left out, the third person might shout, “Third is the one with the treasure chest.” Despite everything, the Leader for the Day was guaranteed a position in front. Everyone knew and revered that fact, even if they were jealous.

Smiling and waving to friends behind me, I stepped through the star-covered doorway. Smugly, I marched forward. Nothing but open hallway was in front of me. Then my teacher stopped and I obediently did too. Mrs. Baine had a disgusted look on her face. Something wasn’t right. Suddenly, I felt vulnerable and defenseless with so much open hallway around me. She appeared shocked as she pointed toward the ground with a plump finger. Then she loudly asked, “Whose underwear is that?!”

I cringed, recognizing it instantly. I closed my eyes, hoping that when I opened them my underwear would be gone.

It was still there. On the floor. In front of everyone.

I stared in horror, and the Winnie the Pooh printed on it returned my gaze. I was ashamed. In my mind, Winnie the Pooh was babyish. Why, of all underwear, did it have to be that pair? Why did my aunt put it in my locker? I told her not to! I tried to hide, but there was no one to hide behind – I was the lucky person in front.

Around me, kids giggled and whispered. Mrs. Baine’s voice crescendoed. “Whose underwear is this? We’re not leaving until someone picks it up.” Her unease increased with the amusement of the class. I dreaded what was about to happen. I bit my lip, held back tears, took a deep breath and stepped out of line. As quickly as possible, I snatched it up.

My class howled in laughter. The second graders walked by and pointed, laughing. I quickly shoved my underwear into my locker. With what little dignity I had left, I slunk back to the front of the line and proceeded to lead my class to gym. My cheeks burned. Humiliated to the point of tears, I longed to disappear, shrink, hide, and sulk. The embarrassment I felt was so enormous, it hurt.

With ten years to heal from the trauma of this event, I now feel in a position to ask What is embarrassment anyway? As I think about it, the part of me that isn’t horrified by my kindergarten misery is laughing. Whoever is reading this thinks no less of me after hearing this story. What power does embarrassment have? It is just one moment of thousands in a person’s lifetime, happening to one out of billions of people, living on one planet out of many in the universe.

I am not the first person in history to suffer the distress of underwear displayed publicly. This has happened to someone else before – yet no one remembers it. The history books surely won’t record that in 1996, Ariel’s underwear was lying in the middle of the hallway. In fact, I bet not one other person can recall the humiliated kindergarten girl. So why do I cling to that shameful memory? Why do I still blush when thinking about it?

Maybe it’s because I remember that feeling. No words can do it justice. It was discomfort, distress, and disaster. It was crushing, self-conscious confusion. It was frustration, shame, and unease. It was embarrassment. Or maybe I still blush because part of me remains that vulnerable kindergarten girl, proudly leading the line down the hallway.

BriarRose This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow, i can relate to that. But still, it was wonderfully well written; i felt like I was there. keep up the stellar work =]

Erika E. said...
Great story, and i feel your pain. Mine was leading the pledge of alliegance in girl scouts... with a hole in the butt of my sweatpants....

anonymousfish said...
I feel soo bad 4 u... I think everyone can realate to this story somehow....

ABSmith1996 said...
Sept. 27, 2009 at 11:22 am:
Great Story!

Natalescence This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 27, 2009 at 8:51 am:
Wow! That was a great piece. I actually felt like I was there--your emotions were so palpable and realistic. It's funny how we can remember embarrassing moments so vividly when no one else really cares about them anymore.

sally sunshine not!! said...
I think we all have moments like that, and i loved the imagery that you used. I know that we all wonder if you are the only one who remembers you young embarrasment, or if it is in your memory alone.

practicerandomkindness said...
Jul. 9, 2009 at 3:02 am:
Absolutely fantastic writing. I can totally relate to this, since the same thing happened to me in second grade.

Sarah D. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 8, 2009 at 8:47 pm:
Wow, this is fabulous. I envy you're writing ability. Great work!

Anne R. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 8, 2009 at 5:28 pm:
I personally enjoyed your figurative language in the first paragraph. it brings out a small details like the shade of your cheeks, ect. and the whole thing expresses embarrassment any little kid {including me, unfortunately} would feel at that moment.

Jordan C. said...
Jul. 8, 2009 at 4:20 pm:
This was great. i think everyone can relate to this story!
Wonderful writing! :)

sallyloco said...
Jun. 22, 2009 at 2:34 am:
i've had worse happen to me. I told two guy i like them in front of their faces. One of them found a piece of paper in my notebook that had a heart and their name in it. ect. I've had so much trouble in my life like that. But. this was a great story. I loved it!

SOabby replied...
Nov. 2, 2010 at 12:49 pm :
i'm homeschooled so ive never been ambaressed in school but i have been embaressed a great many times before somehow you never can forget it. 

Danelle S. said...
May 14, 2009 at 5:49 pm:
Wow. That was great! I totally know what you mean about embarrasment lasting for years. I had some experiences in my childhood that I still cring at today - 10 to 12 years later!

daisydee123 said...
May 2, 2009 at 3:25 pm:
that was really good keep up the good work!

dancer-cheerleader-soccerplayer-swimmer-98 said...
your a great writter!!

ckalani said...
Mar. 27, 2009 at 1:21 am:
My favorite part was the last paragraph! You are a great writer, let no one tell you different! Chek out some of my work...please!

lever41 said...
Mar. 17, 2009 at 1:28 pm:
Superb writing skills!!!

The White Rabbit said...
Mar. 16, 2009 at 4:25 pm:
Excellently written!

tweedle dee said...
Mar. 6, 2009 at 1:13 am:
great job, i know how you feel!

blinking.and.breathing said...
Mar. 2, 2009 at 3:10 am:
really excellently analyzed; emotions and such. very good piece!! keep up the great work!! :)