Cars lost to the recession | Teen Ink

Cars lost to the recession

By Luke Schmucker BRONZE, Bremen, Indiana
Luke Schmucker BRONZE, Bremen, Indiana

“Cars.” They were an invention that changed history, but sometimes they won’t always be with us. Let’s jump to the recession of 2006-2010, you may have not noticed, but some memorable car companies had to be shut down due to money loss. Some of them were even 80-100 years old.

Pontiac was born in 1926 by GM, it was a American Classic that made the Firebird, Solstice, Grand Am, LeMans, Trans Am, Safari, and many more great, sporty cars. Pontiac went bust during the recession and made its last car in 2010. A 2010 Pontiac G6 sedan.

Oldsmobile was first brought into production in 1897 by Ransom Olds. Oldsmobile made the very recognisable, Oldsmobile Cutlass, the 442 W30, and the 98. Oldsmobile went bust during the early stages of the recession. It was a popular brand but during the late 20th century it was not really known well. It is not a shock to a lot that it went bust.

Mercury was a brand launched by Ford in 1938 by Edsel Ford. The Mercury was a stronger brand than Oldsmobile and almost made it out of the recession but still flopped. They made what most policemen use as cars: The Mercury Grand Marquis. Similar to the Ford Crown Victoria a lot of Police stations had them in the parking lots. They made cars such as the Mercury Cougar, the Cyclone, and the Montego. They made their last car (Which was the Grand Marquis) in 2011.

Saturn is not that old as some would think, it was introduced by GM in 1985 and was defunct in 2010. They still made some memorable cars though like the Saturn Sky. As of most of these did, most people blame the recession on the loss of Saturn.

So, in conclusion, the recession was an event that killed a bunch of memorable car companies and we should bring them back. It is truley a sad loss if you are a car man like me.

Cars are important. If you don't think so, walk 10 miles to work tomorrow.