Fitting In This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I wouldn't ask for a dressing room. My mom always asked for me.
The evening before I had repeatedly risen from my seat and piled on excess noodles suffocated in meat sauce. Then I licked my bowl with the buttered garlic bread, leaving no evidence of the four servings I had inhaled. In the morning I would be forced to lie on my bed and suck in my stomach just to button my jeans. I dreaded school shopping. The sale rack, with its slender size markers, knew my number continued to bloat.

I learned how to eat from my dad: fast and without thinking. In our house, the dinner table involved battle, with the children on defense. One false move and our dinner would be snatched off our plates without warning and gobbled up by our father faster than we could blink. We soon learned to keep a hand up while devouring our chicken strips, and if Mom decided to cook that night we needed to hurry and get seconds before it was gone.

Only one pair of jeans I tried on fit. I lied and told my mother I could button every pair but only needed the jeans that lay guarded in my hands. We walked to the checkout.

I kept my head down as we passed a group of girls. They whispered. I glanced up only long enough to know my place. Their eyes cut at me, hands cupped over their mouths in secrecy.

***

The recess bell rang and I followed two girls in my third grade class out past the monkey bars to the fenced grassy area. We all wore the same clothes that year: khaki pants and polo shirts. Everyone was the same, or that was the idea.

“I like your pants. Where did you get them?” Marcy asked Alicia. I nodded in agreement, thankful they had removed their cupped hands and I could hear the conversation.

“Really? I like yours better,” Alicia replied.

“We should trade. What size are you?” Marcy asked.

“I don't know …” Alicia said, finding the tag in the back of her pants. “Seven.”

“Me too,” Marcy said.

***

I hid in line as I held the jeans, tag folded in so nobody could see the number inscribed on it was 12. I am not a size seven.

BlackKittie said...
Jun. 10, 2010 at 8:05 pm:
i like it.it gets to the point...you have a talent

Alana H. said...
May 31, 2010 at 7:10 pm:
Wow. This is really good I like it. It gave me goose bumps. I like it because lots of people can relate and you typed how a lot of people feel. Really wonderful job. Thank you for writing this!

BookOwl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 30, 2010 at 9:27 am:
This is really good. You need to write more please!

maddielissa said...
May 27, 2010 at 11:45 pm:
this article is great! and, hey if anyone could, could you check out my article?

Gabriellan said...
May 26, 2010 at 1:59 pm:
I love this title and the story. I'm a size three and I still feel inferior to people, so I can relate to this.

bababababababab said...
May 20, 2010 at 10:59 am:
wow im soo like you. but i cant fit in a 7, if you were 16 and was 15 id shop in kids cause im sooo small! but i rock the look.:):):)

sallyrockz replied...
May 23, 2010 at 7:51 pm :
 lotz of people deal with problemz with there younger siblings and i also hate it

KatherineRose said...
May 15, 2010 at 7:33 pm:
I'm a size 16. And I can't really believe I'm admitting it. But the thing is, I love who I am, on the inside. And I try to let that shine through out the outside. I hope you can too. I don't eat because there's a hole in me or anything, I eat because I like food. I find no problem with that. Girls, like me, like us, are never expected to be that popular. In a way, I almost defy that stereotype. I run for student offices, play on school sports teams, participate in social activites and I feel bet... (more »)

amtpinkpandaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 25, 2010 at 9:57 pm :
i always feel embarrassed when i have something bad on on spilled on my self and my friend  is like here borrow my extras they should fit ,they fit big on me..... but i have to love myslf or succumb the peer pressure of drugs and acohal.

insane_lemons said...
May 8, 2010 at 8:47 am:
amazing story. i am the exact opposite! I am too skinny, so i can relate to this experience. KEEP ON WRITING! :)

mikky replied...
May 8, 2010 at 8:38 pm :
same here. i can totally relate to this...ppl make fun of me bc im too skinny. barely anything on the jeans rack fits me. lol but keep wrigting girl u can add a lot more to this story. i love it too :)

the cool kid replied...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 11:17 am :
i dont now how you can relate to that no efients by the way

mikky replied...
Jun. 4, 2010 at 7:14 pm :
ooooooooooook

Tushar said...
May 8, 2010 at 6:48 am:
cool article and awesome title! well written

CreativeScript said...
May 2, 2010 at 2:58 pm:

CHECK OUT MY STORIES PLEASE! ON MY PAGE..

1. Driving Drunk

2. Leanna's First Day

DanceAway This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 1, 2010 at 8:29 am:
This is really good. And I agree, the title is brilliant!!

claire3poetry said...
Apr. 27, 2010 at 10:03 am:
this is so good and im sure people can relate to this story.

SandyC said...
i rly like this!!!LUV the ending:):)..keep writing.....if yu dont mind, culd you read nd give me feedback on my story William's Dream part 1, i would luv yur opinion

westwardcircle said...
I know exactly how you feel. I have no trouble finding clothes that fit, but finding clothes I like that not only fit but look good on my body. I'm 5'3 and weigh over 180 lbs. most days, but I wouldn't say that I'm fat. Hell, Marilyn Monroe was a size 16 and she was a pop culture icon.

mcpanicfanic said...
Apr. 20, 2010 at 3:05 am:
So.Totally.Amazing. This is so well written. I rarely come across a piece I like this much. Good Job.