Fitting In | Teen Ink

Fitting In MAG

By MonicaMS BRONZE, Providence, Rhode Island
MonicaMS BRONZE, Providence, Rhode Island

I wouldn't ask for a dressing room. My mom always asked for me.
The evening before I had repeatedly risen from my seat and piled on excess noodles suffocated in meat sauce. Then I licked my bowl with the buttered garlic bread, leaving no evidence of the four servings I had inhaled. In the morning I would be forced to lie on my bed and suck in my stomach just to button my jeans. I dreaded school shopping. The sale rack, with its slender size markers, knew my number continued to bloat.

I learned how to eat from my dad: fast and without thinking. In our house, the dinner table involved battle, with the children on defense. One false move and our dinner would be snatched off our plates without warning and gobbled up by our father faster than we could blink. We soon learned to keep a hand up while devouring our chicken strips, and if Mom decided to cook that night we needed to hurry and get seconds before it was gone.

Only one pair of jeans I tried on fit. I lied and told my mother I could button every pair but only needed the jeans that lay guarded in my hands. We walked to the checkout.

I kept my head down as we passed a group of girls. They whispered. I glanced up only long enough to know my place. Their eyes cut at me, hands cupped over their mouths in secrecy.

***

The recess bell rang and I followed two girls in my third grade class out past the monkey bars to the fenced grassy area. We all wore the same clothes that year: khaki pants and polo shirts. Everyone was the same, or that was the idea.

“I like your pants. Where did you get them?” Marcy asked Alicia. I nodded in agreement, thankful they had removed their cupped hands and I could hear the conversation.

“Really? I like yours better,” Alicia replied.

“We should trade. What size are you?” Marcy asked.

“I don't know …” Alicia said, finding the tag in the back of her pants. “Seven.”

“Me too,” Marcy said.

***

I hid in line as I held the jeans, tag folded in so nobody could see the number inscribed on it was 12. I am not a size seven.

TeamTamani SILVER, Adams, Tennessee

"I don't need a cloak to become invisible."-Albus Dumbledore
"Fear of a name increases fear of a thing itself."-Albus Dumbledore
"By all means continue destroying my possessions. I daresay I have too many."-Albus Dumbledore

I usally don't like the non-fiction but this was really good.

ValenciaJett BRONZE, Cape Elizabeth, Maine

If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it
Anything you want to, do it
Wanta change the world?
There's nothing to it

There is no
Life I know
To compare with
Pure imagination
Living there
You'll be free
If you truly wish to be

I loved that it turned out to be a third grade narrator. It was much more powerful to experience the stress and shame of a younger narrator that has the same problem as many teens. Great!

on Jun. 21 2010 at 10:00 am
collegegirladventures GOLD, Mequon, Wisconsin

A poet's work is to name the unnameable, to point at frauds, to take sides, start arguments, shape the world, and stop it going to sleep.

~Salman Rushdie

Good job on the story. Keep it up.

bubbles said...
that was really good

BlackKittie SILVER, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
i like it.it gets to the point...you have a talent

mikky said...
ooooooooooook

the cool kid said...
on Jun. 1 2010 at 11:17 am
i dont now how you can relate to that no efients by the way

alanacarlene DIAMOND, Mexia, Texas

Silence screams too honestly and loudly.
-Alex (aka GangstaEyes)
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four.
-Winston Smith '1984'
Don't go wishin' your life away...
-Daddy S2
"What a drag it was to be limited by reality."

Wow. This is really good I like it. It gave me goose bumps. I like it because lots of people can relate and you typed how a lot of people feel. Really wonderful job. Thank you for writing this!

on May. 30 2010 at 9:27 am
LaughingGirl GOLD, Ocala, Florida

Play the music not the instrument. -Author Unknown

This is really good. You need to write more please!

on May. 30 2010 at 8:06 am
justthtblondie BRONZE, Beach Lake, Pennsylvania
Wow, that's the stupidest thing i've ever heard. If she doesnt want to be seen tlking to you shes not worth your time.

maddielissa BRONZE, Wildwood, Missouri

"It has been my experience that nothing changes a person’s life more than the discovery of one solitary truth: There is a meaning and purpose to life. More specifically: There is a meaning and purpose to your life."

this article is great! and, hey if anyone could, could you check out my article?

Gabriellan BRONZE, Antioch, Tennessee
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

A writer is the only socially acceptable raving lunatic

I love this title and the story. I'm a size three and I still feel inferior to people, so I can relate to this.

HeyAmanda SILVER, Rancho Cucamonga, California
i always feel embarrassed when i have something bad on on spilled on my self and my friend  is like here borrow my extras they should fit ,they fit big on me..... but i have to love myslf or succumb the peer pressure of drugs and acohal.

AmyJo13 said...
on May. 24 2010 at 8:35 am
I love this.I wish i could read more.Im 13 and wear a size 12.

sallyrockz said...
 lotz of people deal with problemz with there younger siblings and i also hate it

on May. 20 2010 at 10:59 am
wow im soo like you. but i cant fit in a 7, if you were 16 and was 15 id shop in kids cause im sooo small! but i rock the look.:):):)

KatherineRose SILVER, Philadelphia, Other

"Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with

I'm a size 16. And I can't really believe I'm admitting it. But the thing is, I love who I am, on the inside. And I try to let that shine through out the outside. I hope you can too. I don't eat because there's a hole in me or anything, I eat because I like food. I find no problem with that. Girls, like me, like us, are never expected to be that popular. In a way, I almost defy that stereotype. I run for student offices, play on school sports teams, participate in social activites and I feel better after doing that because right now, I am fairly popular without being a total ....female dog....I hope you and everyone else is able to feel great about yourselves someday soon...anyone brave enough to come online here and post their stories and experiences deserves it..

mikky said...
same here. i can totally relate to this...ppl make fun of me bc im too skinny. barely anything on the jeans rack fits me. lol but keep wrigting girl u can add a lot more to this story. i love it too :)

EmilyMichelle PLATINUM, Manassas, Virginia

"Our truest responsibility to the irrationality of the world is to paint or sing or write, for only in such response do we find the truth."
- Madeleine L'Engle

I agree...you use just the right amount of words to get your point across and they are the right words too. I can relate to this as well, except I wear small sizes. My problem is that I'm tall and also thin so I can hardly ever find something to fit. I'm starting to be happier with who I am, and I hope you will be too. It's great to be yourself, though everyone wants to fit in.

poppy_lin GOLD said...
on May. 8 2010 at 8:47 am
poppy_lin GOLD, Latrobe, Pennsylvania
amazing story. i am the exact opposite! I am too skinny, so i can relate to this experience. KEEP ON WRITING! :)