Twelve Items or Fewer | Teen Ink

Twelve Items or Fewer MAG

Most Saturday afternoons, I find myself dressed in yellow, standing stationary at my designated express register in the local supermarket. Riveting, no? Most days I stand, scan, and smile because I’m thrilled to be the one who’s laboring away so the crazy cat lady can feed her “babies” luxury food. Most days I love my job, because when I really analyze the situation, although standing, scanning, and smiling is unmistakably considered mindless labor, I do have the pleasure of interacting with a fascinating variety of natives in my little community. However, there are always those off days, to say the least.

She approaches with 37 items, exactly 25 over the limit – and fully aware of it. She is the enemy. In the mocking tone that only a senile woman can have, she says, “Oh hello, dearie. I think I’m a little over the limit, but I just knew you wouldn’t mind!” She flashes her pearly smile that soaks in a glass on her bedside table every night.

“Oh, of course not!” Of course I mind. I always do. 1 … 2 … As I begin to ring up her order, more customers line up behind her. 13 … 14 … 15 … I can see the agitation forming in the faces of those in line, so I work faster. 29 … 30 … 31 … Almost done. I punch in the last produce codes for bananas, asparagus, and a lemon and proudly proclaim the grand total of $63.47. She pays in cash, with exact change, of course, and manages to give me the most obscure combination of 47 cents using almost all pennies and nickels. After I complete the transaction and hand her the receipt, I proceed to bag the items. I’m feeling relatively blessed that there were no defective coupons or refunds to further prolong the order, when the woman says, “Oh, I wanted paper and plastic. And could you pack the bags lightly, dearie? The doctor said I shouldn’t strain myself.”

Let me tell you, it takes every ounce of courtesy and patience in my body to simply say: “Sure thing, ma’am!” After she is completely satisfied, the ultimate pesky customer walks off to purchase a pack of Marlboro Reds and several scratch tickets from James at the service desk, and then she is gone.

Acutely aware that my line is now stretched far beyond normal lengths, I begin to make up for lost time. The next woman is only buying two bagels from the bake shop, some peaches, and a bottle of water, which she evidently opened at some point during the previous transaction.

“I’m really sorry about that wait, ma’am. I apologize for any inconvenience,” I say, as the total sums up to $7.41.

“Oh no, don’t worry about it,” she replies in a way that makes me want to smile. “That wasn’t your fault. Some people are just plain ignorant!” She hands me a $10 bill. As I finish the transaction, she reaches into her bag and pulls out not a handful of pennies, nickels, and dimes, but rather a small piece of chocolate and hands it to me.

“Here. You deserve this more than I do,” she says with a wink and a warm smile. I have no choice but to smile back because at this moment I realize how no kindness goes without recognition, even the smallest act of thoughtfulness.

I will never ask a customer if they have 12 items or fewer, nor will I ever refuse an order, regardless of how many items they have. In most cases, I don’t know who my customers are; I don’t know anything about their incomes, their lives, their struggles – and they don’t know me. All I can do is help them get through the day by showing a smile and parting with a simple “Have a great day!” – hoping that perhaps they appreciate my two cents of kindness just as I appreciated that little piece of chocolate.

I work at Stop and Shop. It's absolutely fantastic.

on Jun. 27 2010 at 6:53 pm
Just.A.Dream SILVER, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin

Part of the J7X team. :)

That's a sweet story! :) Good job with it!

on Jun. 27 2010 at 6:23 pm
momentofweakness BRONZE, Ottawa, Other
you were able to portray such a wonderful moment perfectly. i loved it. (:

on Jun. 5 2010 at 9:40 pm
Lalalovable SILVER, Antioch, California
Wow! This was really nice.:)

on Jun. 5 2010 at 5:34 pm
KaiteyAmber SILVER, Meadville, Pennsylvania

"Keep your face to the sun, then you wont see a shadow." - Helen Keller
" In a world filled with hate, We must dare to hope." - M. Jackson

lol ... loved it ... amazn job ... keep it up

toflyaway said...
on Apr. 22 2010 at 2:31 am
toflyaway, Melbourne, Other

"You're Bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret, all the best people are" -Alice In Wonderland (2010)

This story made my day, I loved it!

on Mar. 31 2010 at 9:08 pm
horsie_luver SILVER, Tigard, Oregon

"I cannot live without books."-Thomas Jefferson

Good story. It was nice and short. I liked that it put a very good lesson in a very cute story. Nice work with the details!

on Mar. 31 2010 at 8:10 am
L_Carshell BRONZE, Jackson, Michigan

The true defintion of yourself is never finished. -L_Carshell

I know how it is to deal with customers who don't comply with the rules. Kudos on the chocolate :D

on Mar. 9 2010 at 8:52 pm
riley1516 PLATINUM, Lake Zurich, Illinois

Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” -Howard Thurman

Cute story! nice details too

ENRIQUEZ12 said...
on Mar. 9 2010 at 3:01 pm
I LOVE THE DETAILS i ALWAYS MAKE SURE I INCLUDED THIS MY STORIES AND SHE DID TOO KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

on Mar. 9 2010 at 11:06 am
jules16 PLATINUM, Fredericksburg, Virginia

" if your living, but do not act as one should when they are alive, then you are simply dead inside, and filling in empty space. So take risks, be reckless, the world will scorn you anyways so why not it be by your own causing "

i lovee thiis : ] the progression is really well done, and the moral is cute.

on Feb. 15 2010 at 3:45 pm
kread18 DIAMOND, Berkeley, California
i loved the simplicity of what you were writing about... i come from a small town too, so this was easy to relate to. it was a nice reminder of how pleasant seemingly small things can be...

on Feb. 15 2010 at 12:15 pm
-alice- PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado

I care very little if I am judged by you or any other human court; indeed I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. -1 Corinthians 4:3-4

Three cheers for Lauren M.! This was not only an inspiring piece, but it was thought provoking and intelligently written. Kudos to you!

on Jan. 24 2010 at 6:44 pm
blanking_out GOLD, Bonita Springs, Florida

Follow the leader, but not too close, just in case they fall.

this is definitely inspiring. thank you so much the reminder that though kindness takes patience, it can be more rewarding than looking out for yourself!!!!! God Bless.

on Jan. 2 2010 at 10:24 am
This was really cute! I liked it!

on Jan. 2 2010 at 10:24 am
I really liked this! Great job!

Aleece GOLD said...
on Dec. 11 2009 at 4:32 pm
Aleece GOLD, Marshfield, Massachusetts

"I'm not random, I just have many thoughts!"

RIGHT ON FUNKY WRITER

on Oct. 28 2009 at 2:13 am
Kitten111 SILVER, Watanobbi, Other

Knowledge is knowing that tomato is a fruit ..... wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad :P

Awsome ... I work in a popcorn shop so i know how customers can be annoying lol ..... and i love doing random acts of kindness to ... i try and do one evry day :)

on Oct. 6 2009 at 6:11 pm
Rambunctious BRONZE, Bristol, Maine

"It is a mistake to think that you can solve any major problems with just potatoes." ~Douglas Adams

Awesome! Made me smile. And made me want to start giving random strangers chocolate.

Emmalee SILVER said...
on Oct. 6 2009 at 11:24 am
Emmalee SILVER, Rayville, Louisiana

Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

:) Really nice.

on Oct. 6 2009 at 10:01 am
SickImage SILVER, Klamath Falls, Oregon

The room was very quiet. I walked over to the TV set and turned it onto a dead channel-white noise at maximum decibels, a fine sound for sleeping, a powerful continuous hiss to drown out everything strange."

Awesome. I really liked this. especially the part about her smile that soaks beside her bed lol it cracked me up.

I work at papa murphys and people always tell me to find a better job "you don't want to be asking 'would you like fries with that' for the rest of your life" and i absolutly love my job and i tell them "no, it's 'have you cooked our pizzas before?'"

I know how you feel when you can make a customer smile. It's a wonderful feeling.