Connor | Teen Ink

Connor

By Emma Pettibone BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
Emma Pettibone BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado

Have you ever judged someone without really knowing them? I have, and for that it made me a bad sister. I was in the 3rd grade when everything started to change. Well my brother, Connor, started to change. He would not come home with a smile on his face or laugh when I tried to play with him. Everyone thought that he was just getting older and that it was just going to be like that. But it got worse. He started hanging around the wrong group of people and giving into peer pressure. He would lie on a daily basis and pretend to be sick to not go to school. When he was at school all he did was get into trouble. I tried to ignore it every day and at that age I did not really know what was going on. I had learned to hate my brother. When I was in 4th grade my parents sent Connor off to a boarding school that they thought would be better for him. Around that time when people would ask I would sometimes tell them I did not have a brother. I was embarrassed by him and all the stupid things he had done. Boarding School was the best thing that ever happened to Conner. He came home a new person. He turned his life around right then and there. He is now one of the most responsible people I know.

I am now in high school and my whole perspective has completely changed of Connor. I see kids go through what he went through every day. I see that peer pressure is one of the hardest things that you are ever going to deal with. I gave up on Connor and even resulted into hating him. That might have been the worst thing that I have ever done. Connor did not give up on himself, and that inspires me. If he could pull his way out of the deep hole he had dug then, I now know that he can conquer any challenge that is thrown at him.