Dolly Parton | Teen Ink

Dolly Parton

Dolly Parton is very rich and famous she is famous because she has been a country singer since she was about 14 years old. She has been singing since she was about 4-6 years old. Some people think that Dolly was a very interesting person with a very interesting weird voice, but to be truthful she has an amazing voice.

Dolly was born on January 19, 1946, in a pine log cabin at the end of a rutted trail in Sevier County, Tennessee; Unfortunately her parents could not pay the doctor when her mother had her, so they had to payed him with a sack of the family’s corn meal. Dolly’s older sister Willadeene, said that Dolly was the first in their family with blonde hair and Ivory Skin. Dolly grew up in the Great Smokey Mountains, in between Tennessee and North Carolina. They had to fish and pick food such as: rasberries, blueberries, walnuts, and hickories. In 1950 Dolly and her family had to make their own soap and grew their own meals. All they could buy was coffee, sugar, and flour, even though they were hungry for a variety of things. Dolly’s mother, Avie Lee Owens Parton was one-quarter Indian and she had the black hair to prove it. Avie Lee married Lee Parton when she was fifteen, he seventeen. They had their first child, Willadeene less than a year later. Next came David, and after him Denver. Then Dolly. The Parton’s had eight more children after Dolly: Bobby, Stella, Cassie, Randy, Larry, the twins, Floyd and Frieda, and last Rachel. There were twelve in all, six girls and six boys. When Dolly was a little girl she would climb trees and pretend it was her stage; and she would sing to her audience. Dolly went to school at a one-room schoolhouse called Mountain View. They had to walk two and a halve miles up a dirt road to get to school. There were only twenty-five children who went to the school, from grades kindergarten through the seventh grade. When Dolly was eight her Uncle Bill Owens bought her a real guitar, a small martin. Dolly had no indoor plumbing where she lived, so she had to bring water in from a well.

One of the boys Dolly dated remembered her saying the most important thing in her life was making it as a country singer. As one of Dolly’s old classmates explains, “People from the city always looked down on people from the country.” By the time Dolly started to listen to the Grand Ole Opry, things had changed. Singers had become the stars of the four-and-a-halph-hour-show.
Unfortunately there were some bad things that happened in her life too, Some of the kids at Sevier County High School still laughed at Dolly’s dream of being a star. And some of the teachers there didn’t think Dolly sang well enough to appear at school assemblies. They thought her voice was peculiar. And they didn’t like country music. One of Dolly’s little brothers, Larry, died when he was only a couple of hours old.

Bill Owens sent tapes of Dolly singing her own songs to Nashville record companies and music publishers, when she was barely fourteen; she was signed up by Buddy Killen of Tree International Publishing Company as a songwriter. And Mr. Killen helped her get a recording contract with Mercury Records. Two months after her sixteenth birthday, Mercury released Dolly’s single “It’s sure gonna hurt.” Dolly buys her mom a new car every year. She also bought her parents a farm outside Nashville.

On Dolly’s first night in Tennessee she met a man named, Carl Dean, and they got married. He was following his career while Dolly was following hers. She decided to join the Grand Ole Opry. At fourteen Dolly got signed up by Killen. At sixteen Dolly got contract with Mercury Records.

Now, Dolly owns a house in Hawaii, on the island of Oahy, an apartment in New York City. Though she hasn’t given up on Nashville; she also owns a twenty-three-room mansion on a farm just outside the city limits. That’s just were her husband, Carl Dean, spends most of his time. When Dolly and Carl got married they agreed that Carl did not want to be apart of her career, and she did not want to be apart of his. For a time Carl worked in the paving business with his father. Now he takes care of the Tennessee farm. One of Dolly’s old friends, Judy Ogle, is now her secretary. And Dolly and her family remain close. Dolly’s parents are proud, independent people. And Dolly says she would rather die than do anything to hurt or embarrass mama or daddy. Dolly has no regrets. Her songwriting hasn’t slowed down either.

Things have changed since Dolly was a little girl who climbed trees to sing so she could pretend that she was on stage. She is very rich, she even has her own body guard