The Perfect Time of Night | Teen Ink

The Perfect Time of Night

By Thoughtblock BRONZE, Gray, Tennessee
Thoughtblock BRONZE, Gray, Tennessee

It was the pefect time of night.
The sky is dark enough to see even the dimmest of the stars, but the summer Sun still hasn't completely relinquished her hold over the heavens. All throughout the world around us, nature is tinted purple and blue, reflecting the hues of the beauty above.
We are laying on the hill above my house. The heat of the day is still radiating from the moist ground beneath us, and the scent of the incoming thunderstorm drifts on the gentle breeze that flows over and around us.
All around us is serenity. The only sounds are the cirruping of crickets, the occasional rumble of thunder in the distance, and the muted sounds of our breathing. The maple that spreads its protective boughs over our heads magnifies every sound the Earth makes in her contented sleep.
I roll over and gaze into her eyes. Their deep blue always captivates me. I feel like everything I am is captured by their infinite depths. I scoot a little closer and wrapmy arms around her. She smiles and snuggles deeper into my warm embrace.
I let my eyes wander over the landscape before us. Beautiful as it is, it doesn't compare to the amazing, wonderful treasure I hold in my arms. I sigh contentedly and smile. This is the happiest I've ever been.

But then I wake up. As the dream fades and I realize the cruel trick my mind has played on me, I can do nothing but weep for what will never be.

CatB said...
on Jan. 28 2009 at 1:20 pm
"The only sounds are the cirruping of crickets, the occasional rumble of thunder in the distance, and the muted sounds of our breathing."

I can actually smell the rain coming and hear the thumder rumble.

"I let my eyes wander over the landscape before us. Beautiful as it is, it doesn't compare to the amazing, wonderful treasure I hold in my arms."

This image is so serene and beautiful. It takes me to a peaceful place.....one of memories and hopes.

LaughingLucy said...
on Jan. 27 2009 at 6:44 pm
Beautiful, Matt...always knew you were a romantic at heart. I think you've found your calling.

thefirstday said...
on Jan. 18 2009 at 2:29 am
I agree. This is like a Jets to Brazil song. It's beatuiful, it's sad, but it's all you'll ever want to have.

Loved it.

GoogberGirl said...
on Dec. 19 2008 at 9:26 pm
Ooooh, that's beautiful and sad at the same time. I like the very descriptive words about the earth and the thunderstorm. To be young and love is a wonderful thing.