Who Is Modigliani? | Teen Ink

Who Is Modigliani?

By ShirleyS SILVER, Oakton, Virginia
ShirleyS SILVER, Oakton, Virginia

“Shirley, this painting is the work of Modigliani.”
Although I am no connoisseur in the arts department myself, I can vividly recall the first time I heard the name Modigliani ring across my ears. It was when I was in the 4th grade. It would be difficult for you to envision that there was a time I actually painted, when now I can barely draw anything that is even vaguely discernible by other people. However, yes, I did paint at one point during my life. And one day, my teacher happened to instruct me to paint a replica of Modigliani’s work- the portrait of Madame Hayden.

I am not sure why my teacher chose that painting of all paintings. It is a rather morose and pensive looking picture for a fourth grader to paint. Why not something like the works of Matisse? Something vibrant, something exuberant, because aren’t those the qualities that interest children? And then, a pang of realization hits me, and I realize that the teacher did not choose the painting at the time. I did.

Since such a long time have lapsed, it is difficult for me to remember exactly why I chose the portrait of Madame Hayden in particular. As I now stare into the painting, I endeavor to reignite the feelings of the past, and at last, I come to a conclusion. The presence of grace and symmetry is what I like best about Modigliani at the present, so that must have been what intrigued my fourth grade self as well. And I happen to know exactly where my favorite qualities of Modigliani stem from. Modigliani yearned more than anything to become a sculptor, only his health had failed to allow him to become one. So, he had no choice but to choose painting as an alternative for his passion for sculpting. As a result, grace and symmetry usually found within sculptures are infused in his drawings.

Maybe the perpetual sense of want and melancholia seeping through the canvasses of his artworks derives from his yearning for sculpting, which he could not attain due to his weak constitution. Modigliani eventually died young due to an illness. His lover, Jeanne Hébuterne, who wished never to be even a moment apart from Modigliani, committed suicide a day afterwards. She was still pregnant with their second child. Her parents vehemently opposed her from marrying Modigliani; now they could love in peace uninterrupted.

So, from now on, you will be able to appreciate the works of Modigliani better. His paintings are no longer just paintings; they are pieces of Modigliani that form together to complete his sorrowful yet sweet tale. And if you still haven’t seen his works yet, what are you waiting for? Commence your journey to discover who this Modigliani is. And tell me whether you concur that he is a sublime artist, or if he happens to be just one artist among the millions that exist.