Teenagers Working | Teen Ink

Teenagers Working

May 26, 2014
By Annna123 BRONZE, Buffalo Grove, Illinois
Annna123 BRONZE, Buffalo Grove, Illinois
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A teenager having a job is a positive benefit to them. Many jobs are available for them to apply at, and there's a wide range of jobs. Depending on age, the times and hours that a teen can work differ. The beneficial part of having a job at a young age is that teenagers learn values, apply those values to school work, and other tasks involving school. Working benefits teenagers.

There is an extensive list of jobs that a teen can work at. However, the types of jobs a teenager can work at vary because of age. Under the age of 16, the jobs to choose from are limited, but options are still available. For example, a suitable job for a teen between the ages of 14-15 could be at a supermarket or local grocery store. Work can also be found as bagger, cashier, and concession worker. Teens that are a few years older have the option to pursue jobs at malls, other stores, restaurants, and even being a lifeguard. Being a hostess, waiter or waitress, and receptionist are good ways to start a job path. Certain jobs may spark an interest that a teen could want to do later on in life.

There are some exceptions to working as a teen. They cannot work the same hours or some of the same jobs as adults do. Teens cannot work in hazardous surroundings like in factories or at construction sites. “Before 7 a.m and after 7 p.m, they are unable to work,” according to www.nidirect.gov (2) The times will change regarding summer vacation and the weekends. Since education comes first, it is against the law to work during the time school is in session. For no more than 8 hours a day and 40 hours a week, teenagers cannot work.

Jobs are very beneficial to teens. “The benefits to them having a job is that it keeps them from engaging risky activity after school. There, they are being supervised and can become more responsible,” states Milano (1). It teaches teamwork and other work skills that will help them in future jobs. Learning the value of money and being responsible with it is something teens need to learn. A head teacher from Worthing High School, Alison Beer, shares, “students have felt happier in their schooling generally and this leads them to improved behavior. It has clarified their thinking and sharpened up their practice.”

Teenagers that have a job can learn important skills and can benefit them in the future. They can choose from many different jobs and can see where they want to be employed at. There are many jobs to pick from. Times and hours are different because of the age a teen is. Also, it can affect what job a teen can work at. The benefits add up to a long list. The opportunity to have a job must be taken seriously. The first job that is chosen may not work out at first, but it can make individuals discover a different field of work that teens never thought they would enjoy. “Teens gain access to a wider range of work settings through volunteering, internships or various programs sponsored by their schools,” says Mortimer (6). Working at a young age prepares teenagers for jobs in the future and causes immeasurable changes behavior and attitude for the best.


The author's comments:
I wrote this research paper about the benefits of teenagers working.