Goodnight Sweetheart | Teen Ink

Goodnight Sweetheart

November 24, 2008
By Anonymous

When I was four, my parents would put me to bed. Sometimes they gave me a bath. I despised it. My mother picked me up and dropped me in the warm bubble bath. I freaked every time. I kicked. I screamed. I had so much fun sailing the great Bath Tub Sea. My crabbing ship capsized! “Sarah! Stop splashing! You are getting me all wet,” my mother scolded me.

“Yes, Mommy. I’m sorry,” I apologized not being sorry at all.

“Okay Honey, stand up your done,” I stepped into the warm towel. My mother always put towels in the dryer before my bathes in the winter so it was warm and soft.

“Thanks mommy.”

“Don’t worry about it Honey. Do you want your pink pajamas or your blue ones?”

“BLUE!” I demanded, “Pink is icky.” I made a face making my mother laugh.

“Be careful or your face will freeze like that!” She laughed. Then my dad came in and carried me into my room. He always read me a story and sang me to sleep.

“What song do you want tonight honey?” He asked on the way to my room.

“Nibblin’ on sponge cake please Daddy.”

“You got it sweetheart. Nibblin’ on sponge cake. Watching the sun bake. All of those tourists covered in oil. Strumming my six string on my front porch wing smell those shrimp their begging to boil. Wasting away again in Margaritaville.”

A few minutes later I stopped him at my part.” BUT THERE’S BOOZE IN THE BLENDER! And soon it will render that frozen concoction that helps me hang on,” I sang.

“Wasting away again in Margaritaville. Searching for my lost shaker of salt. Some people claim that there’s a woman to blame. But I know it’s my own damn fault.” We always finished the song together. " Daddy will you read me The Cat in the Hat, please?"

"Of course." After the first few pages I was asleep. After the story my dad got up tucked me in and said," Goodnight Sweetheart." He gave me a hug and kiss and left me with my dreams.