The Leap of Faith | Teen Ink

The Leap of Faith

November 22, 2008
By Anonymous

Hands sweating, heart pounding, legs trembling, adrenaline pumping, but of course, everyone below me didn’t know that this was happening to me. The Leap of Faith, a 32-foot high ropes course was terrifying for pretty much anyone, especially someone like me who was afraid of heights. I continued climbing the staples in the tree, already halfway there. My foot slipped and I got more nervous, trying to feel for the staple my foot needed to stand on. So badly I wanted to look down but if I did, I’d surely turn around in panic. Thoughts swirled in mind like, Why did I decide to do this? and Look down! and Don’t worry.

“You can do it!” someone shouted from below. I realized I was standing there frozen. I snapped out of my daze, found the staple my foot was looking for and continued climbing. Soon enough I was at the top and on the platform. For the first time yet, I looked down and the world below me was a bit of a blur. I brought my toes to the edge of the platform as I had been instructed to do when I’d first arrived at the high ropes course. Now my goal was to leap into the air.

“I’m going to count to 3,” I yelled to the belayer, my voice trembling and my hands holding onto my bright yellow harness for security. My face was covered in a mask of calmness, even though behind that mask was a terrified face. I closed my eyes and counted loudly to three, “1…2…3!” I opened my eyes and leaped into the air and before I knew it, I was hanging in mid-air with a giant proud smile spread across my face.

“So how was it?” someone asked.

“Terrifying…But fun. You’ve got to try it!” I said enthusiastically, my heart still pounding, adrenaline still rushing, legs shaking, and hands sweaty. The Leap of Faith, an unforgettable memory.