Magnificent Science Fair | Teen Ink

Magnificent Science Fair

It was a warm day on May 5, 2005 in the small town of Greensburg, when they held their fifth grade science fair at the elementary school. I was in fifth grade at the time and I entered my project in for judging. For some reason I was the last one to present my project to the three judges in the gym. When my time came I slowly walked out of my boring English class to the gym and to my project. I waited patiently to have the judges come to me.

The only female judge asked me what my project was over, and I said in a polite tone of voice, “What blood type are you? That is was I chose as my title.” She said, “So can you take us through the scientific method with that subject?” I replied being as confidant as I could be, “Yes.” So, I eventually stated everything I practiced in front of my stuffed animals earlier that day.

Later that night my mom, my brother, and I went back to the school to see what the judges thought of my project. They weren’t quiet done scoring my project yet so I waited until the next day. As I was walking to the classroom when I heard all of my classmates cheering. “Were they cheering for me?” I was wondering as I was walking down the hallway. I started second-guessing myself on what I was hearing from the room. But I gathered up all of my courage and walked in slowly. Three of my best friends and people I really didn’t know came running to me still cheering. When they finally reached me they almost knocked me off of my feet. I felt so important that day.
Now all I could do was wait for the awards ceremony. It was finally May 15, 2005. I was going to get my award for all of my hard work on the project. I was walking to the gym with my class when I saw my mom and my grandma looking for me. I waved to them as big as I could, with out embarrassing myself. They saw me and waved back. My class just happened to be at the top of the bleachers in the gym. We all got up there and took our seats.
I was waiting anxiously to hear my name be called off the microphone. When they called my name I hopped up to walk cautiously to the floor. When I received my medal and certificate I waited patiently to go back up to my seat. After the principal was finished talking to the crowd we all walked to sit with our parents and friends.
This experience was life changing for me because I felt like I belonged to the school. I felt that way because when I first moved there I had problems because I felt like I didn’t have a place in the school. Soon after that I had a lot of friends that knew how smart I was and they accepted me for whom I am not for what they wanted me to be.