The First Day of School | Teen Ink

The First Day of School

November 17, 2008
By Anonymous

When I moved to Batesville I was so mad because I did not have any friends. My mom told me that I had to go to school. I was so angry and scared at the same time. I was scared because I did not know how to speak English. I cried and cried but I still had to go. In the morning while crying, I told my mom that I did not want to go to school. I was scared because I did not speak the same language as the other kids. I was only eight years old. When I got to school. Every one stared at my mom and I. When I got into the classroom, I was hoping that there was going to be another person who spoke the same language as me. But no, I was the only one. In my mind, I thought that everyone was making fun of me. I had no way out. All I could do was to learn to speak the same language. When I got home, I had told my mom about my first day of school. I also told her that I thought that the other kinds made fun of me in their minds. She told me that the only way that they would not make fun of me was to learn to speak English. So I did. I tried and I tried and I finally made it. But now that I speak it and I understand it I was not wrong. People do make fun of you when you don’t speak the same language. There was one kid in particular that I will never forget his name. He made fun of me and he still does just because we did not have the same color of skin. But, I am not the only one he makes fun of. But now it not hard for me because I can defend myself. I have learned a lot from this experience. I learned that when you want to accomplish something you have to work hard.

The author's comments:
I am hispanic native speaking student I move to the united states when I was 8 years old.