Coffee or Tea? | Teen Ink

Coffee or Tea?

By sudha medapati SILVER, West Windsor, New Jersey
sudha medapati SILVER, West Windsor, New Jersey

“Don’t drink coffee!” Did you ever hear not to drink coffee but to drink tea. Well I have. Many times. But what’s better coffee or tea? I mean, we always hear that coffee is “bad” and tea is “good” for us. So let’s see if coffee is better for our health or if tea is better for health than or are they equal remedies.

Coffee. Over 150 million Americans drink an average of 3.1 cups of coffee each day. What is coffee? Many people coffee drink but do they know what it is? Coffee grows in bushes and it doesn't look like a coffee bean; it looks like a “cherry”. The “cherries” are picked, processed, dried to get the seed, and then the seed or bean is roasted. Why is coffee so popular? One of the many reasons coffee is so popular is because it makes people happy. This is because when you consume coffee, you release a neurotransmitter called dopamine. Dopamine makes people feel pleasant and happy. So, it’s a comfort food and who doesn't want to be happy? So is coffee good for you? Coffee has gotten a pretty bad name for the past few years. If you get your coffee from a coffee house they have probably added lots of sugar and cream, which is not the best for your body. What are the nutritional aspects of coffee? Coffee has some fiber and antioxidants. Coffee also lowers the risk of type 2 diabetes. Coffee can also increase your time at the gym because it has caffeine which keeps people moving and active for some time. Now, I admit there are some good things about coffee but coffee is equally or even more worse for you. So dont go around drinking more than five cups saying its good for you.

Let’s talk about tea. Tea. You’ve probably drunk it if you were sick, tired or even even having a bad day and needed something to make you feel relaxed. Tea is basically made of boiling water with dried leaves. There are so many different types of tea. I’ve personally drank tea at night and in the morning to make me feel ready to start the day or before I sleep to relax after the tiring day. Some popular flavors are jasmine tea, herbal tea, and breakfast tea. One way tea is so good for you is because the antioxidants in tea help protect against cancer. Tea is also very hydrating to the body. For all those people looking to boost their complexion they can rub the the left over tea leaves after drinking tea to protect the skin against the ultraviolet rays people get exposed to. There is one not so good aspect of tea. Tea does have caffeine so drinking more than seven cups in one day isn't the best for your body.

So after all of that what do you think? Is tea or is it coffee better for health? In my personal opinion, I believe that tea is healthier. Although coffee has some benefits the effects of drinking coffee are a risk to health.